What determines throw on clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What determines throw on clutch?

Does the amount of throw on the clutch lever change as the disks become worn and the springs become weak? My clutch works well (no drag or slip) but there seems to be very little throw: about 1/8" inch on the lever, or so it seems. I have not yet opened the clutch to inspect so was wondering if it is possible to infer anything.

Also, any advice on stock vs. aftermarket clutch plates and springs for when I redo the clutch?

Thanks,

Francis
    Austin, Texas
    1980 GS450ST

Originally posted by sicnarf442 View Post
    Does the amount of throw on the clutch lever change as the disks become worn and the springs become weak? My clutch works well (no drag or slip) but there seems to be very little throw: about 1/8" inch on the lever, or so it seems. I have not yet opened the clutch to inspect so was wondering if it is possible to infer anything.

Also, any advice on stock vs. aftermarket clutch plates and springs for when I redo the clutch?

Thanks,

Francis
    Austin, Texas
    1980 GS450ST
    Why would you redo the clutch if it is working well?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sounds like its just right

Mine is just like that and I like it. Its great for quick drag style shifting

I find its a little different around oil changes time because of the new oil dragging a bit more but when its up to temp there is little drag with just a slight amount of leaver.

As far as the throw changing I don't think that changes in any noticeable way.
      I would think that the amount you have to pull the lever might have more to do with oil drag.

less pull for thin oil and more for thick oil.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
      X