Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where is the oil pressure switch? 83 GS450L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where is the oil pressure switch? 83 GS450L?

I have no red lite with key on engine off and wonder if the wire is off? or what. bulbs all replaced. I can't seem to locate the switch?? according to a parts fiche, it is "supposed " to be on the rh side of the engine, down low towards the front.
    but there's nuttin there??? if i can find it i'll ground the wire and see what happens!!!!!

i don't know about your 450, but on my 850 it's on the left side behind the exhaust and the shifter.

Comment

I imagine there has to be something there. Maybe a PO put in a plug to replace the switch. Any pictures?
      Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

I'm not "real" sure but I think I found it.
        Believe it's number 30 on this parts fiche.
        Last item called "Oil Switch Assy"
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Yes that is it!! I looked all over the place, on the right side . NOTHING. then I took off the pulser coil cover and YES THERE IT WAS. it is inside that cover that is held on by screws.
          With ignition on and engine OFF, there was no red lite. I grounded the green wire to the switch, and the lite CAME ON.

Bad Switch.. BAAADDD switch!!!
          Anyone got an oil sender switch they wanna part with????

Comment

Originally posted by airbornespud View Post
            i don't know about your 450, but on my 850 it's on the left side behind the exhaust and the shifter.
            Why did you modify your 850?

On my wife's '82 850L, it is on top of the rear crankcase. Right there under carb #3, below the cam chain tensioner.

It is in the same place on my '80 850G and my son's '81 850G and '80 1000G, and my other son's '82 650L.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Why did you modify your 850?

On my wife's '82 850L, it is on top of the rear crankcase. Right there under carb #3, below the cam chain tensioner.

It is in the same place on my '80 850G and my son's '81 850G and '80 1000G, and my other son's '82 650L.

I wonder if he doesn't mean the LEFT HAND side as you are LOOKING at it from the front?

You know, that whole perspective thing...
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

There's a few on e-bay, but the prices are all over the board, a new one is $21 and change plus shipping.
                Here's the E-bay list.
                eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.
                sigpic
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  I wonder if he doesn't mean the LEFT HAND side as you are LOOKING at it from the front?

You know, that whole perspective thing...
                  Well, I thought of that, but he did say "behind the shifter".

On all of my bikes, the shifter is on the (proper) LEFT side.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                    There's a few on e-bay, but the prices are all over the board, a new one is $21 and change plus shipping.
                    Here's the E-bay list.
                    http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313
                    THANKS, but I also have another 450 that i may pull it out of for the time being. I justlike everything to work ya know????

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                      THANKS, but I also have another 450 that i may pull it out of for the time being. I justlike everything to work ya know????
                      Especially the oil pressure switch!
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

I SCORED A NEW ONE on Ebay for 17 bucks including shipping! YESSSSSS

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                          I SCORED A NEW ONE on Ebay for 17 bucks including shipping! YESSSSSS
                          Not too bad, a new one from G&S is $21.06, plus shipping.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

they have more of 'em

I searched by part number and lo and behold it came up!!

Comment

i put the new switch in and PRESTO I have a working oil pressure light now !!!
                              moving on the the 82 real quick. dunno what it needs yet lol

Comment

Working...
                              X