Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first post/first valve adjust with shims...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first post/first valve adjust with shims...

Hi everyone,

This site looks great. Checked valves on 450 and exhaust look tight.

First question.... Do the cam lobes need to be facing up on exhaust and intake valves to properly measure gap?

Thank you,

Andrew

Welcome to the site. Basscliff will be along later to give you the official welcome but here's a starter for you:

Also, look up a guy named Steve on here (username and real name) and email him for his spreadsheet. It will help you track your work. Also, do some searching on here by clicking on Search, Advanced Search, put in valve adjustment, choose titles only, and you'll come up with more information on doing valve adjustments than you know what to do with.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

There is a factory method that only requires the cam shafts to be at two positions for the mentally challenged.
      It happens to be one of the very few factory methods used by some members that choose to use plastic zip ties
      jammed into the combustion chamber rather than the factory shim tool.
      Or use their calibrated hands to torque down the cam cover bolts rather than a click-type inch-pounds torque wrench.
      And then have problems with stripped threads, go figure?

It is perfectly fine to adjust them one at a time with the lobes pointed up in a straight line with the valve stem.
      I have been doing it that way for over thirty years on my GS's.

Eric

Comment

Welcome vtskier....just one more person to add their 2 cents in. I did use the zip tie method and it worked just great!

HOWEVER...for whatever reason, when I tried multiple times to check the valves with the cam lobes straight up and down, I had trouble getting the measurements. For some reason, I couldn't get the readings I needed. The gauge tool wouldn't fit. But when I set the cam lobes at the angles the shop manual recommended, they measured out just fine. And the results were great and the engines ran fine.

Probably just me, but just in case you have a problem like me, go by the shop manual.
        sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
        1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
        1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
        1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
        1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
        1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
        1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
        1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Thanks everyone. The shop manual states that lobes need to be up, but I saw some conflicting info on the web. Just making sure.

I will attempt the zip tie method today!

Ride on....

Comment

Those that are advocating specific cam positions need to know that you are working on a TWIN, a 450, specifically. They are not quite so fiddly on where to set the cams when checking clearances.

For those with FOUR-cylinder engines, the cams need to be put in a specific position, then TWO valves checked without moving the cam.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X