GS450 air filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 air filter question

When I purchased my 450L, I knew it didn't have a stock air filter in it, but was a rig job made up of wire mesh and some sort of fabric batting material. (like what is in a stuffed animal or couch pillow). Well, I got some parts in the mail today, and some of the parts where my foam filter, and the white plastic holder. My question is since the "rigged filter" was not the same, I don't know exactly how the filter is supposed to fit in the air box. It looks like the filter is supposed to sit at an angle. High near the boots, low further away. When I put the foam in, it tends to want to flop over, not forming a tight seal. Am I missing a part? If anyone has a picture of their filter installed in the air box, that would be awesome.

Chris

Originally posted by CEEDUBB View Post
    When I purchased my 450L, I knew it didn't have a stock air filter in it, but was a rig job made up of wire mesh and some sort of fabric batting material. (like what is in a stuffed animal or couch pillow). Well, I got some parts in the mail today, and some of the parts where my foam filter, and the white plastic holder. My question is since the "rigged filter" was not the same, I don't know exactly how the filter is supposed to fit in the air box. It looks like the filter is supposed to sit at an angle. High near the boots, low further away. When I put the foam in, it tends to want to flop over, not forming a tight seal. Am I missing a part? If anyone has a picture of their filter installed in the air box, that would be awesome.

Chris
    I'm not sure if the E and L's are the same but if I remember I'll try to pull out my stock airbox tonight and see what I can see for you. It's just sitting in the pile of stock parts here that came off my E.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I haven't had my airbox open in a while, but I seem to remember there being two white plastic holders. One sits at an angle inside the airbox to support the filter and the other snaps down over it to hold it in place, the foam is sandwiched between the two.

I'll try to take a picture when I get home if Pete doesn't beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Devon View Post
        I haven't had my airbox open in a while, but I seem to remember there being two white plastic holders. One sits at an angle inside the airbox to support the filter and the other snaps down over it to hold it in place, the foam is sandwiched between the two.

I'll try to take a picture when I get home if Pete doesn't beat me to it.
        Thanks bub, that's what I was thinking...

Comment

Yup. You guys are correct.

Comment

I had a very similiar situation when I bought mine a month or so ago. This is what you need to do. First and foremost. The white pieces of plastic are extremely difficult to get back into the groves where they need to be. But you can get them to sit on the edges of the groves, rather than inside the groves. Take your first piece, line the edge of it with clear silicone caulking. Put it inside the air box where it needs to be. Allow to dry for about 30 minutes. Take your filter and put it on top of the piece you just glued in there with the silicone. I ended up not using the last piece of plastic as the air filter is now firm in it's place and does not move. You have the mounting location correct. Remember to oil the filter.

Comment

Bugger, completely forgot! Hopefully I'll remember and dig it out tomorrow night...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pearljam724 View Post
                I had a very similiar situation when I bought mine a month or so ago. This is what you need to do. First and foremost. The white pieces of plastic are extremely difficult to get back into the groves where they need to be. But you can get them to sit on the edges of the groves, rather than inside the groves. Take your first piece, line the edge of it with clear silicone caulking. Put it inside the air box where it needs to be. Allow to dry for about 30 minutes. Take your filter and put it on top of the piece you just glued in there with the silicone. I ended up not using the last piece of plastic as the air filter is now firm in it's place and does not move. You have the mounting location correct. Remember to oil the filter.
                Thanks for the info, I know exactly what you're talking about.

Comment

Working...
                X