B8ES plugs too big for the head on GS400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B8ES plugs too big for the head on GS400

In countless spots online is says to buy B8ES plugs for the bike but both of my 400's run DR8ES plugs (smaller)

I bought some B8ES plugs and they cannot be used because the threads and overall girth of the plug is much bigger than the DR8ES that are on the bike.

These heads arent all the same or am I missing something here?

Hi

There are a few GS bikes that use D8EA plugs as opposed to the B8ES. "D" signifies 12mm and "B" signifies 14mm.

More info: http://www.sudco.com/spark.html#stand

General Suzuki Specs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

By the way, the stock plug is a D8ES, not a DR8ES.

If you have stock plug wires with resistor caps, you don't want the resisitor plugs, too (DR8ES).

On the other hand, if you have aftermarket wires and non-resistor caps, go ahead with the resistor plugs.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        By the way, the stock plug is a D8ES, not a DR8ES.

If you have stock plug wires with resistor caps, you don't want the resisitor plugs, too (DR8ES).

On the other hand, if you have aftermarket wires and non-resistor caps, go ahead with the resistor plugs.

His AM radio won't buzz
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The Canadian Spec GSX400 (later model) uses an 4V/cylinder engine, so the 12mm plugs are applicable. It's the early 2V/cylinder engines that use 14mm plugs.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            The Canadian Spec GSX400 (later model) uses an 4V/cylinder engine, so the 12mm plugs are applicable. It's the early 2V/cylinder engines that use 14mm plugs.
            Yeah, I forgot that little detail, since I don't do much with twins.

I think the only "2-valve" GS engine with the smaller plugs is the 650.

Could be wrong (again), though.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

I just wanted to note; the NGK D8ES has been replaced by the D8EA.

BassCliff

Comment

DR8ES-L is what is called for in my 1981 gs40x supplement manual for the Canadian model's. Not sure why though

Even has factory plug boots with resistors.

I've always used them and not given a thought to it until I just read this post :P

Might switch over to d8's, Hope nobody minds a little EMI

Check this out http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...tnumberkey.pdf

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

I just wanted to note; the NGK D8ES has been replaced by the D8EA.

BassCliff
                That means the tip isn't the usual type and is a special design according to the chart.

I wonder whats so special about it?
                Stephen.
                1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                  DR8ES-L is what is called for in my 1981 gs40x supplement manual for the Canadian model's. Not sure why though

I wonder whats so special about it?
                  It's actually a half heat range cooler, as in halfway between an 8 and a 9.

Comment

Makes sense. Thanks :-)
                    Stephen.
                    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...