1986 GS400E Service Manual ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 GS400E Service Manual ?

I'm new here, can anyone out there tell me where I might find a service manual for a 1986 GS400E twin. This bike was given to me by a friend who has too many motorcycles. I can't find a manual for this bike anywhere! I live in Canada and have been told that these bikes were not sold in Canada and were only sold in the US till '84. Can anyone clarify this and feed me anything regarding the GS400E? What contries were they sold in and for what periods? There has to be a manual available out there somewhere

You'll get the full-fledged welcome package later but go here to see the manuals - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff

Service manuals are in the middle of the top of the page.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hey mate and welcome.

Can you post a photo or two? Would help us identify the correct model for you, some are 4 valve heads and others are 8 valves.

There's also an eBay seller eClassic Bike that sells reproduction factory manuals for a good price and he may have one for yours also if you can tell him exactly what model.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. check out my album in my profile or go to my website http://www.enigmacustomdesign.com If you click on the "Motorcycle" button It'll go to the GS400E page with more photos. This is my first ever bike, can't believe I've waited this long to have one. So far everything I've seen on this site and read in the forum tells me that I've hit gold regarding this bike, it seems to be an oddball bike in these parts. Educate me, I'll be back often.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2012, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. inigma,

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

OK here's some clarification,Canada and some other markets got the Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber(TSCC is the common short version)4 valve per cylinder GS 400 instead of the more common 2 valve per GS450.In the E and or S versions we got them till 86.The L went to 450 about 83 IIRC.Had a 81 and 82 myself and got a 86 S for what was to be my wife's first bike.If it's in any kind of decent shape the are fantastic first bikes.

Comment

Cool, Greg's got you covered, it's the 8 valve motor.

In Europe and over here they're GSX rather than GS models...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

may have your manual...

I have a manual here titled Suzuki GSX400 Service Manual.It is a supplement to the GSX250 manual. It has a section on the GSX400E, if this is what you are looking for. No dates are given but iit has been accurate (wiring etc) for my 80 GS400LT and 82 GS400LX. Only problem is I have no scanner ATM... I will have one available next week once I get back up North.
                What info are you looking for?

Comment

Thanks guys, I decoded the serial number and it is an '86 other than that not much useful info and the vin tag says it's a GS400E (with a G stamped behind it). The thing that I find puzzling is that it has the bodywork of a sporty GSX rather than the more civilized street look of the GS. All the pics I find of GS400E's have the street look,not the sport look, am I missing something? Pete mentioned that outside of North America the GS's were known as GSX's, from that can I safely say that this bike was imported? I've been told that they were not sold in Canada.
                  Thank you SVSooke, it is a TSCC, you say that the GS400 was available till '86 , I've been told by 2 mechanics that say it wasn't and 1 didn't put much effort into trying to find me a clutch cable, which I now have, said he was having a problem because it wasn't a Canadian bike. What a lameo!
                  Anybody else with any info? Damn my curious mind...
                  TrikerJoe I may take up on the offer to get a few pages of your manual e-mailed to me when you get access to a scanner. I have to replace my clutch cable so would need all poop and specs to do the re & re. I'm still searching for a manual. None of the links in the thread worked.
                  Thanks for evrything gentlmen.

Comment

Well I doubt there would be 2 in BC if Suzuki didn't export them here.Doubt the cable would be different from a 82 or 83 GS400E or even a 82 or83 GS450E.Suzuki Canada seems to have forgotten they imported these bikes to.Apparently dealers get only the 450 fiche's

Comment

Thanks SVSooke, It is what it is. @

Comment

Working...
                      X