Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the airbox boots back on

No I know why so many use pods

I installed the carbs back on with new intake boots and now I been trying to wrestle the aibox boots back on for the last 30 minutes with no success. They are still maleable but I cant get them to go back in.

Do you have to remove the airbs to put the boots back in?

How do you guyz usualy go about throwong the carbs back on?

take the bolts/screws out that secure the airbox to the frame. that will let you push the whole box and boots foreward as one. put a little grease on the inside of the boots too, to help them slide on. after they are on, secure the four boot clamps, THEN push the airbox backward and re install the airbox to frame hardware.
    its one option to try. dont forget to hook up the throttle cable while the carbs are still loose in there. it is easier for me at least that way.

Comment

Heat is your friend, extreme cases require boiling your airbox with boots to soften up those boots and slip them on when they're hot, a little grease also.
      You could install the airbox to the carbs then the carbs to the carb boots,
      if you have room to work the airbox and carbs together. You may have to remove the snorkel and battery box if it gives you another half inch to play with, depending on which bike you have.
      Make tapered plugs, small enough to fit in on one side of the plug but increasingly larger as it goes in, heat, grease and stretch those boots out while hot, this helps in extreme cases. Once stretched, slide in. Be carefull not to rip them apart.
      Once you do it, you'll find the easiest method for you.
      Now, what bike are you trying to do this to? You may be able to find new
      ones still available, some bikes you can't get them for, and never could.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

hairdryer set on low will soften the boots nicely.

Comment

Heat is indeed you friend and I recommend getting one of the cheap electric paint stripper guns from Crappy Tire (looks like a hairdryer). On the low setting play them on the boots unt9il they are hot to touch but not smoking then squirt some WD40 in the throats and they should be good to pop back on.

As mentioned with the carbs have everything attached. Start them in the boots on a 45 deg. angle and pop them in (forward) and up, You may need to wiggle abit and or use a fulcrum braced against the rear engine mount and pushing against the carbs.

Another good method but it may require help is to use a ratchet strap around the head and carbs with the carbs positioned more or less at the angle they will be when installed. Ratchetting brings them into the boots.

With the airbox, get the battery box out of the way and the airbox unscrewed from the frame mounts. It should be able to move back and forth about 1.5 to 2 inches. Again use heat on the boots and a shot of WD. Push them on to the carbs and again using a fulcrum behind the airbox push forward to pop them on. A long handled screw driver or piece of broom handle will work well for this.

Its fiddly at first but you will eventually get it.

Good luck,
          spyug

Comment

Thanks for chiming in with tips guys!

Removing the aibox bolts allowed me to move the airbox back a whopping 1/4 of an inch!

But that was enough to allow my to put the puckers in.

I contemplated using heat but I settled for push rolling the the boots on the ground (like dough) to get them more maleable.

I used long skinny chromy wrenches to push the boots in there and get it seated right.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfman View Post
              Removing the aibox bolts allowed me to move the airbox back a whopping 1/4 of an inch!

But that was enough to allow my to put the puckers in.
              Wouldn't life be grand if we all had an extra 1/4" to play with
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                Wouldn't life be grand if we all had an extra 1/4" to play with

I would gladly take an extra 1/4 of an inch between my sciatic nerve and my herniate disc right about now.

Comment

Originally posted by jfman View Post
                  I would gladly take an extra 1/4 of an inch between my sciatic nerve and my herniate disc right about now.
                  I hear that! I am a fellow sufferer. Unfortunately right now my broken arm is more of an issue
                  glad you worked out your airbox and boots. it sure is a shoehorn job for some, my 550l is easy as pie. sometimes we have to dig in to find our "special method" , glad you got it!

Comment

Working...
                  X