Riding and then suddenly a cracking noise followed by grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding and then suddenly a cracking noise followed by grinding

I went to the gas station to fill up the bike because I was planning on using it for the next week while my car is in the shop.
    Made it to the station no problems, filled it up and pulled out no problems.
    About a mile or so later there was a cracking/popping noise followed by grinding, followed by a loss of power.
    At first I thougth that maybe it was a car next to me and I let off the throttle subconciously, but after I pulled off I still heard a bit of a grinding/scraping noise. I got the bike home as I was only two blocks away.
    Seems like it is coming from the stator area, but I'm not sure.
    I used the stethoscope and there seems to be the same noise throughout the engine with only minor differences in volume.

I won't be digging into this until tomorrow, and I'm going to need to bum a ride to the shop for some fresh oil.
    Any thoughts on what I should be looking for once I open it up?

smell the oil to see if there is gas in it.
    I took off once without checking the oil which was a mix of gas and oil

very bad thing to run on.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      smell the oil to see if there is gas in it.
      I took off once without checking the oil which was a mix of gas and oil

very bad thing to run on.
      It does smell a little funny, but not really like gas.
      Having a hard time thinking what that smell actually is...

Comment

I would start by removing the stator cover and checking that out. Then the clutch cover. Then the starter clutch. Other than that, pull the valve cover, check under there. Then the cam chain tensioner. Those are the easy ones. Then I would drain the oil threw a sieve and check for metal parts.
        Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          I would start by removing the stator cover and checking that out. Then the clutch cover. Then the starter clutch. Other than that, pull the valve cover, check under there. Then the cam chain tensioner. Those are the easy ones. Then I would drain the oil threw a sieve and check for metal parts.
          Good luck.
          That sounds about like what I was going to get into tomorrow.
          Except I thought that when you took the stator cover the oil came out?

Comment

Only a drop or two if you are on the centerstand. Nor from the clutch cover if you are on the sidestand.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              Only a drop or two if you are on the centerstand. Nor from the clutch cover if you are on the sidestand.
              Ok, thanks for that.
              I'll let you all know how it pans out tomorrow

Started a little early. At least a quart of oil came out when I took the stator cover off.
              Had to grab something to catch it quickly as it poured out so I won't be able to reuse any of it.

Found that one of the three screws holding the stator in place had rattled a bit loose and gotten bent.

Seems like it was hitting the inside as it spun.

found some metal shavings right around there...

Pretty sure that was it. Going to clean it up and then move on to the next bit. Got some lock washers to put on this time >.>
              Last edited by Guest; 10-16-2012, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Maybe a bit of blue locktite too.

Throw a magnet in the oil and see if it picks up anything. Might as well drain and refill anyways if there's a chance some shavings made it to the sump.
                Stephen.
                1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Wow. Sorry about that, I have never seen that before, either on my GS or my Kaw.
                  At least you found the issue immediately.
                  You found the issue, no need to go any further. I would drain the remaining oil through a sieve, I use a spare bit of screen, to check for any more metal bits. Replace the filter as well. You may want to pull the oil pan and check for metal bits as well.
                  I would replace all three screws with hardened screws, use Loctite, and forgo the lock washers.

Again, my apologies for the oil spill, I always put a catch pan underneath it (forgot to mention that part) but have never seen it flow like that at all.

Comment

Gas in the oil or overfull? Does seem like quite a bit.
                    Stephen.
                    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                      Gas in the oil or overfull? Does seem like quite a bit.
                      Good point, did you check the oil level when you put it on the centerstand? Normally it all drains down to the sump after 5-10 minutes. Take another sniff to see if it smells like gasoline.

Comment

USE some locktite don't use washers. Clearance is very close...

Comment

It's back together and has a fresh filter and oil.
                          Didn't see any additional metal bits, but it's possible some small ones were in there.
                          Total drained and leaked was right around 3 quarts so I don't think it was overfilled, or gas filled, but I saved it on the side for now to check it out later. the rattling/knocking noise is much quieter at this point and the bike seems like it's doing OK.
                          Will post back later with a picture of the head of the fastener that rattled loose.

Comment

Working...
                          X