Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain tensioner dial?

Hello All,

I have noticed that my engine has been getting a little nosier lately. The only way I can explain the sound it is making is by comparing it to a model train running on a track. A friend of mine said this seems like normal noise but that if you hear a knocking and the engine runs badly that my timing chain might be coming loose. Another friend of mine said he used to run his bike and turn the tension dial very very slightly until the engine quieted down. I made the hasty (and probably not the best) decision to try and turn it a hair while the bike was running. It wouldn't turn at all clockwise, but did turn about a click counterclockwise. When I turned it counterclockwise, it did (and this may just be in my head) seem to make the engine run ever so slightly quieter.

So, my questions are:

A. Does this make sense to anyone?

B. How exactly does the cam chain tensioner dial work?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Leave it alone, it's fully automatic.
    Unless it's not working, then fix it.

Turning it counterclockwise loosens the cam chain and will make it more noisy.
    It can also let it skip a tooth, which would be bad.

There is a tensioner rebuild tutorial on Cliff's site which explains the function well.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Have I messed anything up turning it as I described? Is the noise I am hearing related to the chain?

I will definitely check out Cliff's website, however what is Cliff's website?
      Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Probably not if you only turned it a little bit. Yes it's the chain.

These are normally fairly noisy engines.

Comment

Ok, thanks tkent02. As always, I much appreciate the advice. That's actually pretty neat that its automatic. Was this common for a lot of bike in these years?

Comment

Cliff's site was in your welcome package earlier this year...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by rymac11 View Post
              Ok, thanks tkent02. As always, I much appreciate the advice. That's actually pretty neat that its automatic. Was this common for a lot of bike in these years?
              No, Suzukis were special.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Cliff's site was in your welcome package earlier this year...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff
                Thanks! I don't recall ever recivining a welcome package, I must have missed it. Looks like a fantastic site though.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  No, Suzukis were special.
                  Pretty cool, these bikes are definitely underrated. Everyone talks about how amazing and desirable vintage Hondas are, but from what I have been reading these Suzuki engines are rock solid. Not to mention they are a nice looking bike.

Comment

Originally posted by rymac11 View Post
                    Thanks! I don't recall ever recivining a welcome package, I must have missed it. Looks like a fantastic site though.
                    Click HERE to go back to your second thread (July 5), go to post #12.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Click HERE to go back to your second thread (July 5), go to post #12.

Yep, there it is. Don't know how I overlooked that before.

Thanks,
                      Ryan

Comment

You have a roller bearing engine. Normally noisy.

Specs

The tensionner is spring loaded and as the chain wears it automatically takes up the slack but once it has done that it won't back out again. That's the automatic part.

Your friend was probably talking about a manual tensioner that you have to adjust from time to time.

On the other side there is another bolt that can be used to lock it in place so that you can work on it but there have been times where people have tightened it and effectively disabled the automatic part.

You'll learn lots on Clif's site, Probably won't sleep for days taking all that knowledge in
                        Last edited by Mekanix; 10-24-2012, 11:44 PM.
                        Stephen.
                        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                            You have a roller bearing engine. Normally noisy.

Specs
                            On the other side there is another bolt that can be used to lock it in place so that you can work on it but there have been times where people have tightened it and effectively disabled the automatic part.
                            I checked this as per the Clymer manual to make sure it was turn out correctly and it was. Noisy old engine...

Comment

Working...
                            X