83' rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83' rotor

This is pic of my rotor on 83' 450L. Should be rotated so notch on case is in top left corner. The marks are R-TllF and opposite side is L-Tl. The manual says to put R-T mark on timing mark and the right cylinder is at TDC. manual shows to timing marks which are basically the two mounting screws. Not sure which one to use or if it makes difference. The other problem am having is when I try to put exhaust cam in when I clamp down ends the lobe on left side is pushing against valve and ends up rotating cam upwards and the 1 arrow ends up above the case edge. Is there something I'm not doing right? I'm not an expert mech. but I should be able to figure this out.

What I've done(and usually takes you growing a third arm) is, once you have the cam in the right position, and the lobe is making contact with the bucket before seated, while keeping tension on the chain and holding everything in position with one hand, rotate the engine carefully to relax the valves, tighten down the cam enough to return to original position to check that the marks are aligned, kind of a pain, but worked for me when I installed the cams on my 650 Tempter twin before I sold it.

Comment

Thanks, was just out there trying some things but will give what you said a try. You are right about the third arm, been trying to grow one ever since I started this project.

Comment

+ 1

That's the way I do it.

You can usually get within 2-3 teeth of where you want to be. Then its just a matter of relaxing the valves again and pulling the caps off and then jump the chain a few teeth. Reset everything and check the alignment.

Usually takes a few tries.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
        X