suspicious slow oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    Good stuff, and yes definitely let us know how it goes!

You will definitely need a hand to torque the sprocket nut back up and make sure it's nice and tight.
    any tips on keeping the final drive shaft stationary while i crank on that nut?

also - i've got a nice torque wrench, so i'm confident i can get pretty close to the factory spec using my body weight and the proper tool. I'll see if i can coerce my room mate into helping. he's a lazy one, but he likes beer...

also also - Is this an opportunity to replace the drive sprocket with one that's got more teeth? i'd like to get a bit more legs out of the first and second gears, and bring the revs down a notch on the highway. will i need to replace the chain, or can i just move the rear axle forward to give myself enough play for a new sprocket? i'm probably only going to add 1 tooth. 16 teeth to 17 translates to about 6.5% increase, or about a 6.5% decrease in revs at any speed.

you guys rock.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Thought you may be interested in a little background reading from when I did the same job on our 250. Yours will be easy in comparison.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Good luck!

EDIT: The only way I've been able to remove front sprocket nuts is with a second pair of hands wedging the sprocket still with a wrecking bar or similar and use an impact wrench with the correct size socket. All attempts to remove with hand tools only have not been successful for me.
      Last edited by Wallowgreen; 05-14-2013, 04:55 PM.
      It's smoke that make electronic components work.
      Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
      '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
      '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
      '82 GS1000SZ
      '82 GS1100GL
      '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
        Thought you may be interested in a little background reading from when I did the same job on our 250. Yours will be easy in comparison.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Good luck!

EDIT: The only way I've been able to remove front sprocket nuts is with a second pair of hands wedging the sprocket still with a wrecking bar or similar and use an impact wrench with the correct size socket. All attempts to remove with hand tools only have not been successful for me.
        much obliged. i'll be sure to investigate this. I saw a trick in one manual where a guy had a scrap length of chain that he folded over on itself and that wedged against the lower case and jammed the sprocket. i'm thinking it might be worth a try.

Comment

I just typically get my mate or my wife to stand on the back brake, has worked every time so far.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The parts have arrived:

No promises that I will get started on this project this weekend. The leak isn't fast enough to merit major concern at this point, so I'm going to wait until I have a totally free weekend ahead of me. This weekend is booked, but eventually i'll get to it. I'll keep you fellas posted once I break ground.

thanks
            mike

Comment

Sounds sensible to me... let us know how you go when you get some time.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
              X