where to find a drive pulley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to find a drive pulley?

I'd like to try and convert my gs450 (upgrade to a 500 now) from a chain to a belt. The drive spline is 25mm 13 spline. I'm figuring the space can afford about a 3.5-4" diameter pulley. Considering the size of the engine, I would say a 1" to 1 1/8" wide belt would suffice.

The challenge I have is finding the front drive pulley to start the experimenting. I realize I'll have to get a rear pulley, but those are more plentiful. I'm also expecting to maybe have an idler pulley to keep the bottom of the belt from touching the case on the bottom near the front pulley.

Again, this is just an investigation into the possibility. So, does anyone have an old used 25mm Z-13 spline belt pulley that I can use of sizing and pondering???

THanks fellow GS's.

Oh, btw, the upgrade to the 500 cylinder has recently passed the 700 mile mark. It's doing very well and has noticeably increased the power and low end torque.

Cheer,
    Steve

Find a Kawasaki 440 belt drive , the front pully may be just what your looking for
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
      Find a Kawasaki 440 belt drive , the front pully may be just what your looking for

I looking into it. The splines aren't the same. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

It appears the LS650 drive pulley would fit, but the belt width of 1 1/2" is rather wide for the 450. I'm trying to find a 1" wide belt. From what I can tell after taking many measurements, a 1" belt and pulley to support this width would not cause any problems in the front end. I just recently replaced the sprockets and chain anyway. The new o-ring chain is 1" wide. Heck if this chain doesn't cause a mess like the original one, maybe I'll just stick with it.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2013, 11:32 PM. Reason: error

Comment

if the LS650 pulley will fit but its too wide, just get it machined down to the width you need.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          if the LS650 pulley will fit but its too wide, just get it machined down to the width you need.

I thought about that, but am concerned about weakening the strength by changing the design as a result of machining it down.

So far the new o-ring chain is doing well. I'll keep looking for a pulley, or maybe in time someone will make one for these ranges of bikes. I'm sure there would be a great market for the front pulley only, since the market already offers plenty of rear pulleys that could fit.

Comment

Originally posted by bwanna View Post
            I thought about that, but am concerned about weakening the strength by changing the design as a result of machining it down.

So far the new o-ring chain is doing well. I'll keep looking for a pulley, or maybe in time someone will make one for these ranges of bikes. I'm sure there would be a great market for the front pulley only, since the market already offers plenty of rear pulleys that could fit.
            people get things machined all the time, if done properly it wont compromise the strength, could even improve it.

i doubt there will be a great market for the pulley as there is not a big demand for belt drive conversions on the GS models.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
            X