No announcement yet.

surging, poor idle, fuel leaking from carb overflow tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought about the wiring issue, and as far as I got was checking the spark plug gap, which is ok. I don't know how to check the wire for grounding issues, and don't really know how to troubleshoot electrical issues. I did notice though that when I grab the wires I get a little tingly shock, more so on the left cylinder.

The fact that it runs on the right cylinder only but not the left seems odd to me. Is this normal, an indicator of what's going on with the surging, or a separate issue?

Comment

Took the carbs apart to change the float needle and on a hunch I put the floats in some water to see what they would do (I assume they should float, hence the name) One float sits level, the other doesn't and I can hear liquid in the uneven one. Not sure if this is the source of the issue, but I'm getting at least one new float. Should I replace the second as well?

Comment

haha!Good find.
        It's certainly an issue. You have to fix it. Bike will run better.
        Replace both? if they are both corroded, you pretty well must... but personally, given I thought it was a failure of manufacture- a single "weak-point" I would try to fix the bad one and inspect the other closely.

Comment

Originally posted by prosnomonkey View Post
          I thought about the wiring issue, and as far as I got was checking the spark plug gap, which is ok. I don't know how to check the wire for grounding issues, and don't really know how to troubleshoot electrical issues. I did notice though that when I grab the wires I get a little tingly shock, more so on the left cylinder.

The fact that it runs on the right cylinder only but not the left seems odd to me. Is this normal, an indicator of what's going on with the surging, or a separate issue?
          It sounds like your plug leads and/or hoods are cracked. This could definitely lead to problems. It's a fairly easy fix, depending on the type of coil you have. Some of the stock coils are epoxied in place, hence the popular upgrade to Dyna coils.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
          X