pull in clutch, gear still engages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pull in clutch, gear still engages

can put in neutral no problem, pull in clutch , put in first and it is instanly engaged. Have tried adjusting at handle casing and at clutch cable conection. same when motor is off
    at a loss

Loubob

What bike are you referring to? Have you looked through the service manual that details how to adjust it? I got real lucky this weekend on mine but it does take some practice adjusting the screw and locknut (depends on the bike as to where it is) as well as the cable.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

1983 GS400E, (from previous posts)

Take the cover off of the sprocket. You might find that the pushrod is bent or jamming.

What's the history on this bike ?
      Last edited by Mekanix; 03-11-2014, 12:02 AM.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Sounds like the clutch plates are stiuck together. No big deal. It happens from sitting long enough for all of the oil to get squeezed out from between the clutch plates. Don't take anything apart. Ride it around in first gear, clutch pulled in, cracking the throttle on and off, try to get the chain whiplash going. It will free up in a few minutes, maybe even a few seconds. Then good to go, just ride it.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

have checked the rod and it is fine. Will drive riding in first and hopefully problem solved

I got the 1983 GS400EZ about 14 mths ago and am just about done.

picture is what it was like at that time, had a lot of separate pieces

Comment

thanks to "tkent02" for solving my problem .
            Finally was able to get out and run it in first with clutch in, took about 20 feet for it to loosen up. Now a couple of cosmtic's and should be ready to roll

thank you again

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Sounds like the clutch plates are stiuck together. No big deal. It happens from sitting long enough for all of the oil to get squeezed out from between the clutch plates. Don't take anything apart. Ride it around in first gear, clutch pulled in, cracking the throttle on and off, try to get the chain whiplash going. It will free up in a few minutes, maybe even a few seconds. Then good to go, just ride it.
              Very interesting. And very good to know. Thanks!
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Had the same thing going on with my 85 GS400E, teres still snow on the ground but im going to take it out and see if I can use the same solution! Thanks for the post I was about to take my clutch apart after thinking I was done the Project!

Comment

Working...
                X