No announcement yet.

Side Case Bolt Torque Spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently thought about using EBC spring, but went with a standard set up, it's not like my 850 has a mater and slave cylinder to all the work, just a plain old cable, any increase in force needed to pull the lever would be quite noticeable, and hard work on a long ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G View Post
      I recently thought about using EBC spring, but went with a standard set up, it's not like my 850 has a mater and slave cylinder to all the work, just a plain old cable, any increase in force needed to pull the lever would be quite noticeable, and hard work on a long ride.
      The amount of force required with what's in there right now takes all my strength to pull and is making my riding not only miserable but dangerous out on the road.

My clutch cable continues to stretch putting it out of adjustment after just a short ride. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't stretched up to around 2 full inches at this point, and will likely snap before long. I hope I receive the new OEM springs by the end of the week so that I can get the job done by the end of this coming weekend.

As soon as this fiasco is over I'm going to clean and do a bit of a rebuild and refurbishing of the carbs, sync them, and then it's going to be full brakes, including new rotor if I can get one, wheel-bearings, and tires. Then she should be good to go for quite a while without any major service.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G View Post
        I fully agree. It was de rigeur to fit uprated springs back when, when everybody thought they needed them. Well, actually, the standard springs were sometimes over-priced and EBC (and others) did them much cheaper. Staggering the standard and uprated springs does work, but it really all depends on what the fault was in the first place. If the standard springs simply got tired, a new set of standard or a set of staggered ones will do the job. A full set of uprated ones is usually unnecessary unless the power output has been increased, or there's a known clutch-slip tendency of the design.
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Got the new OEM springs in there now and all is well. I do wish they were a bit stiffer, but they work well enough.

I also had to install a new clutch cable due to the excessive stretching the EBC springs caused.

I ended up torquing the side-case bolts to about 8 lbs. f. both times and it worked perfectly; no stripping and no leaks. I also used blue threadlocker on the bolts both times.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel View Post
            Got the new OEM springs in there now and all is well. I do wish they were a bit stiffer, but they work well enough.
            Why, is it slipping?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X