Side Case Bolt Torque Spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Case Bolt Torque Spec

I'm changing out the clutch plates and springs on my 1983 Suzuki GS450ED, and I can't seem to find the torque specs for the side case bolts. I have a new gasket already btw. Do you know what the torque is supposed to be for these side case bolts? Also, where can I find such specifications in the future? I checked the manuals I could find and I can't even see where this spec is given if at all in any of them, and searching online has not helped either. I found one that seemed to say 7 lbs, but is that correct?

Don't have the manual for your bike, but 6mm bolts into aluminum are typically something like 60 - 70 inch pounds, maybe 73. 7 foot pounds is more like 84 inch pounds, I wouldn't go there unless I had to and knew I had the right number.

I do know too loose is easier to fix than too tight. A torque wrench calibrated in foot pounds will only do too tight or way too tight.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Don't have the manual for your bike, but 6mm bolts into aluminum are typically something like 60 - 70 inch pounds, maybe 73. 7 foot pounds is more like 84 inch pounds, I wouldn't go there unless I had to and knew I had the right number.

I do know too loose is easier to fix than too tight. A torque wrench calibrated in foot pounds will only do too tight or way too tight.
      All the specs in the three manuals I have specify only "Foot Pounds" for torque figures, and like I said, if the one or two specs I found are actually for the side case bolts, then it lists 7 Foot Pounds,. which isn't na lot, and the bolts are actually 8mm, not 6mm. Keep in mind I am not speaking of the "crankcase" bolts, but rather the "side case" bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel View Post
        All the specs in the three manuals I have specify only "Foot Pounds" for torque figures, and like I said, if the one or two specs I found are actually for the side case bolts, then it lists 7 Foot Pounds,. which isn't na lot, and the bolts are actually 8mm, not 6mm. Keep in mind I am not speaking of the "crankcase" bolts, but rather the "side case" bolts.
        The head of the bolt may be 8mm the bolt it self is actually 6mm
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Like I said, too loose is easier to fix than too tight. 7 ft. lbs. is a lot for small screws. Go easy.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
            The head of the bolt may be 8mm the bolt it self is actually 6mm
            OK, thanks for that, I see that now that I'm looking at the specs again.

Checking one of them it does specify unmarked "Conventional" bolts, which these are, and that are 6mm at the thread require 3 to 5 lbs. f. But now I wonder if the 7 lbs. f spec I found elsewhere is incorrect or not.

It's really quite pathetic how terribly edited and laid out all three of these manuals are, and that no one seems to have this information available anywhere online.

Comment

Like I said, too loose is easier to fix than too tight. 7 ft. lbs. is a lot for small screws. Go easy.
              Good advise of course, and will do.

Comment

crankcase bolt (6mm) torque is 6.5-9.5 ft lbs from the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  OK thanks a lot. Now exactly which manual is this, and on what page?

That's a pretty significant range of specs for torque, "6.5-9.5".

Also if you can scan it and post it here so I can have a look at exactly how they have it listed and worded and such would be greatly appreciated.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2014, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    I concur
                    I use 7' lbs or 84 " lbs

They will snap at 140 "lbs !! (broken torque wrench will teach you that!) try not to wind the wrench completely down when your done, only wind it down to the lowest setting!

You might find that 84" lbs isn't that tight but it is just as much as needed. Go tighter and you will create leaks instead of preventing them by squishing the gasket.

Haynes manual Page 27
                    It simply states all 6mm bolts are 7' lbs(84"lbs) , no range in the Haynes or Clymer manual. But the Clymer actually says case bolts.
                    GS500 manual says 76"lbs to 115"lbs which is a bit more than I would attempt.

If you want a better manual, Get one from.... well I was going to say gs500 but really any manual for the bigger engines is much better detailed for this kind of stuff.
                    Last edited by Mekanix; 05-02-2014, 12:10 AM.
                    Stephen.
                    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

I understand that I need to keep the metal plates in order and make sure they go back in facing the same way they came out, but what about the new cork plates? They look the same on both sides, am I right? So those can be flipped either way and of course in any order, correct?

Comment

Those are crankcase bolts, not wimpy side cover bolts. They thread into MANY more aluminum threads. There is No reason for a clutch cover to be that tight.

Do what you want, when they strip don't blame me.

Comment

Those are crankcase bolts, not wimpy side cover bolts. They thread into MANY more aluminum threads. There is No reason for a clutch cover to be that tight.

Do what you want, when they strip don't blame me.
                          I agree, as I said, those figures just range way too high to be correct IMO. I'll start off at 5 lbs. f and see how it does. If that doesn't keep it sealed and tight then I'll up it at 7 lbs. f, which I'm sure would be the absolute max on those.

Comment

Does seem like allot doesn't it, Even feels like it (just tried one)

funny thing is that it says the exact same for the valve cover bolts in all 3 manuals but two of them say 6.5-7'lbs
                            Stephen.
                            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                            GS twin wiki

Comment

If it's a foot pound wrench don't even use it. Inch pound wrench, and only a small one at that. Really there's no need for a torque wrench at all, just go easy. That's probaby why there's no torque spec listed, there's no reason to get them tight at all, people used to just use a screwdriver. Finger tight, and then a little bit more with a small wrench is plenty. There is nothing to be gained by going tight other than crushed and leaking gaskets, stripped threads and heartache.

Comment

Working...
                              X