Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sentinel View Post
    See, now you're beginning to feel my pain! lol

Those are not the crankcase side case bolts, those are the actually crankcase bolts being referred to there! lol

See how horribly written and edited these manuals are?

Oh yes, I get it but there may not be torque values for screws...I am just going on the 6mm value because it's as close as I can get so far
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-02-2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      Oh yes, I get it but there may not be torque values for screws...I am just going on the 6mm value because it's as close as I can get so far
      I think I'm just going to torque them at 5 lbs f. and call it good. If the bolts feel strained as I'm gong I'll just stop there before I get to 5, but I think they'll be ok to 5; we'll see.

Comment

The length of them might be important...I'm inferring this from my second attachment.

Comment

Well, I'm down to removing the spring-bolts, springs, and plates right now, and then the joy of reassembly. I'll be sure to use a relatively conservative amount of torque force on those bolts. I'll report back with how it went.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            The length of them might be important...I'm inferring this from my second attachment.
            Yes, many of them are indeed different lengths, so I laid them out accordingly.

I just got the new plates and springs installed. I'll tell you that truing to get the bolts back into mounting the springs was a real pain.

Now I've just got to torque them, and then it's time to finish the reassembly. So far so good.

Comment

You should be ok with that....even if I myself just use my impact driver....I happened to find this in a Honda manual. The first mention of "Screws"I've seen.

allen screws maybe.

Comment

Well after around 12+ straight hours of work I've got it all done. The damn oil housing studs and nuts were stripped so luckily I had some spar suds and nuts and was able to repair it.

So up all night with no sleep at all, and now I'm too tired for a test drive. I'll tell you what though, that clutch pull is seriously heavy now. This should be interesting. After I get some sleep I'll bne taking it out for a test ride.

Oh, and no stripped nuts or bolts with the clutch work!

Comment

The damn oil housing studs and nuts were stripped so luckily I had some spar suds and nuts and was able to repair it.
                  Yeah those are always stripped because people insist on using torque wrenches on them.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Yeah those are always stripped because people insist on using torque wrenches on them.

Comment

I was very careful not to over tighten them and of course never use a torque wrench on them. When I went to replace the studs the new ones from the factory bad threads and would not work. You can imagine how ****ed off I was after a night like that than this! Thankfully I had order 3 more as backups a few years ago that I had forgotten all about until I found them frantically searching this morning, and thankfully they were in perfect working order. I know better to only ever snug those nuts finger tight after learning differently the hard way years ago.

Well, I've just gotta clean up my terrible mess all over the garage and then off I go for a test ride; I hope it even works! lol

Comment

Bad news. While the clutch replacement went perfect with no striped bolts or screws, and everything is resealed correctly with no leaks or anything, the clutch pull was pretty much unmanageable, and my clutch cable has stretched at least an inch or more because the force of the pull is so great. This just didn't seem right at all of course, so I went and checked the manufacturer's part listing and found that the part I was sold as being the correct springs for my bike are incorrect. As I looked around every other reseller I found also had the incorrect part number listed accept for one place. The springs I was sold are the EBC "CSK6", the correct part listed for my bike from EBC is "CSK158", so now I've ordered the CSK158 springs and I'm going to have to do the job all over again!

Comment

UPDATE:

Spoke to the manager of the motorcycle division at EBC America and he found out that the CSK158 is indeed a new part assignment for my bike, and has replaced the CSK6 for it. Of course the problem is that only one of the many online resellers I checked are aware of this.

My issue with the CSK6 springs I have in there now is that the amount of lever pressure required is far too much to be usable. Now I wonder if I'm still going to find that to be the case even with this updated part? He mentioned that some users have actually done a staggered install in that they installed every other spring using the stiffer EBC part, and every other one the stock standard OEM part to make the tension more manageable, but suggested I install the full new EBC spring set before trying that. I sure hope I don't have to go through this install all over again!

Here's the specs he gave me on the parts. I don't know much about springs, but comparing the specs I wonder how much different the tension between the two may actually be?

CSK6 Specs (Discontinued Part Assignment):
                          Length = 41.3 mm
                          Outer diameter = 19.6 mm
                          Inner diameter = 14.1
                          Number of turns = 5

CSK158 Specs (New Replacement Part Assignment):
                          Length = 39.8
                          Outer diameter = 19.84
                          Inner diameter = 14.97
                          Number of turns = 5

Difference from CSK6 to CSK158:
                          Length -1.5 mm
                          Outer diameter = +.24 mm
                          Inner diameter = +.87

Does anyone here have any ideas or suggestions on any of this?
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Any difference in the thicknesses of the spring "wire" ? The wire thickness itself is the first consideration making a spring, I would think. But there's plenty of stuff on the internet....
                            Those "differing" specs do not seem important enough differences 1)if they fit and 2)if you torque your clutch bolts to spec.

I would compare these to the original springs.

Comment

Well, the new supposedly "correct" springs arrived today, and instead of the package stating that they are "10%" stronger than standard, this one states that they are "15%" stronger than standard, so in other words I'm sending them back for a refund and will be installing a new set of stock standard ones. EBC has really dropped the ball on these. And yes, some accurate and important info from EBC including actually spring strength would have been nice.

All in all a very bad experience with this company.

Comment

I'm sending them back for a refund and will be installing a new set of stock standard ones. .
                                The Suzuki ones are the way to go anyway.
                                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X