Up change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up change

My GS850G 1981 model is at times having trouble changing gears but only from 1st upwards, not down gearing.
    It's nothing to do with the engine revs, it just refuses to change up until the bike has travelled a few metres.
    Could this be a blocked oil jet in the side gear case, or just worn clutch plates/cable.
    I'm ready to drop the oil and take the tank off, but before I do I'd like a couple of opinions first.
    The bike has 19,000 k's on the clock.
    Cheers.

Move this post to 4 cylinder engine/drivetrain section - just delete here and repost there.

So it goes into first OK, but problems going up until it warms up? Do you know what oil is in crankcase? have you tried adjusting clutch cable play to get a little more pull at clutch lever arm?
    Last edited by tom203; 05-04-2014, 08:35 AM. Reason: info
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Changing

Goes into every gear ok, just under revs it seem to refuse to go up into a higher gear. Changing down though the gears no problem.
      I'm going to dump all the oil anyway and refill in the morning.
      The Clymer manual I have says in the updates that the oil fill No: 110 nozzle in the right hand engine cover must be clean to allow oil flow. I'll check that as well.

Comment

Is this a hot/cold issue or is it absolutely a distance traveled issue irrelevant of engine temp?

If it's a hot/cold issue then, as tom203 pointed out, a check of clutch free-play is in order. An oil change is also worth while if it's been a while since it was last done. A dragging clutch do to too much clutch freeplay and/or cold, thick, and sticky oil is causing your issue - IMO. That last one of clutch drag because of cold oil is to be expected and normal. I don't think your have a lubrication problem as a few metres of travel wouldn't cure it and make things work until the bike was parked.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2014, 10:22 AM.

Comment

It's not the clutch. A lot of riders never use the clutch at all when shifting, it does not do this, the lever goes quickly and easily between gears. Your problem is something to do with the shifting mechanism, shift lever linkage, shift drum or forks or whatever. Could be something in the transmission itself.

There are others more knowledgeable about these transmissions that will be able to help you more.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Check list

Ok, by the responses it looks like I'll do a matter of elimination first before looking deeper into the gearbox.
            First things first is getting those STUPID screws out of the casing covers, I have to cut a slot in one screw that refuses to play.
            I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Whoops

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
              Ok, by the responses it looks like I'll do a matter of elimination first before looking deeper into the gearbox.
              First things first is getting those STUPID screws out of the casing covers, I have to cut a slot in one screw that refuses to play.
              I'll keep you posted.
              Update on the gear change problem.
              In the selector cam next to the clutch basket, is two tiny springs.
              These have been worn out and replacements have been ordered.
              But as everything is out, the clutch is being replaced, new bearings, springs etc.
              As well as the clutch cable being replaced.
              Also my new screen for the bikini fairing arrived today, I'll drill that tomorrow and fit it after I put the new handle bar control switches on, while I'm waiting for the clutch parts.
              Both the covers are being polished, hint to remember, don't use caustic based soap powder in the dishwasher next time.
              Whoops.

Comment

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
                My GS850G 1981 model is at times having trouble changing gears but only from 1st upwards, not down gearing.
                It's nothing to do with the engine revs, it just refuses to change up until the bike has travelled a few metres.
                Could this be a blocked oil jet in the side gear case, or just worn clutch plates/cable.
                I'm ready to drop the oil and take the tank off, but before I do I'd like a couple of opinions first.
                The bike has 19,000 k's on the clock.
                Cheers.
                I have the same problem on my 1000G, and I use it as a warning that it is time to change the oil. It happens about every 3000 miles on my bike. I change the oil and it shifts like new again
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Will look at mine, and see if I have a similar problem with those springs....... Regards
                  GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
                  1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
                  1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X