No announcement yet.

Been looking for a light twin….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, you're right, I could make any of them work. Just wondering as one who has probably never ridden any of them, if there were any advantages to one over the other. Don't think I have ridden a GS twin, if I have it's been decades. I have ridden Kawasaki and Yamaha versions, and a lot of Honda 350 360 450, etc.
    Might try that GR 650 if I can find one to try out on Craigslist.
    I'd rather stick with the GS line, I just like them - and most of you guys too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Not an insurance thread. Size doesn' matter for that. Looking for info on the bikes themselves. 400, 425, 450, similar bikes.

Thanks!
      so what exactly did you want to know? They're not like Honda 350's IMO.
      They are heavy to get on the centrestand. The sidestand sticks out too far, but nobody here has ever complained so maybe I'm a worrier.
      Speaking for my own bike,but it's a lot like 450's, The rear shocks are not great.Drop you with a lurch on your tailbone into any hole Riding is very easy but you have to do it in corners. It doesn't fight back at all anywhere. No quirks. People mention diving brakes on the 450's and my gsx 400-Never bothered me... Not sure about the older ones but the brakes stop pretty well.
      They all have wonderful counterbalancing in the engine. Really smooth...as a comparison, this GL500 I have had weights in the stock handlebars and without them...well, they don't compare. I could never say this bike is buzzy.

On one of mine I take the shocks off because the stock pipes block removing the axle.

Comment

the forks are 35mm -very strong. Rust can get between the fender and forkbrace but you are likely used to this on your others.
        The 450/(and GSX400's) Electrics are the same as the rest of the GS stator R?R issue...but there's only one fuse and simpler. no fuel gauge but they have the gear indicator they 6 speeds all of em aren't they?
        425's are pretty rare and plain 2valve per 400's more so too.You will likely get a 450, I bet.

Comment

I'll probably get whichever one I find in good condition first, as long as there isn't much reason to look for one instead of another. I just want to make sure there aren't some to really avoid, like the 750 with the oil problems, or the later 550s with their unobtanium ignitors. Also if any are more comfortable or handle better than the others that's good to know. I may well be buying one from afar, may not be able to do any test riding.

I just haven't been finding any in ridable condition here locally.

Comment

Might be too Lish for you but there's a GSX300 8 valve twin you might consider too . It's the only 8 valve twin you got down there I think.Also a GN 400- a single....pretty rare but popular wherever it did go... also These had a single downtube on the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              Might be too Lish for you but there's a GSX300 8 valve twin you might consider too . It's the only 8 valve twin you got down there I think.Also a GN 400- a single....pretty rare but popular wherever it did go... also These had a single downtube on the frame.
              Probably not interested in a thumper or a 300, unless it was a kickass deal for a fix and flip..

Comment

I don't think you'll have any issues with any of them Tom, and if you're hitting twisties hard on them, I would highly recommend Avon Roadriders.

They come in the right sizes and they are awesome

I think the early 400's are a 5 speed, the 450's are definitely a 6 speed though.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  I don't think you'll have any issues with any of them Tom, and if you're hitting twisties hard on them, I would highly recommend Avon Roadriders.

They come in the right sizes and they are awesome

I think the early 400's are a 5 speed, the 450's are definitely a 6 speed though.
                  I'm a big fan of both twisties and RoadRiders.

And six speeds.

Comment

They are hard to find in nice condition. I like the S, with its useless little fairing and slight rearsets best, but I like them all. The GR650 styling has too much L in it for me. I would like A gs400/450/425 for my GF. She is intimated by the 650 Seca that I thought was perfect, and I don't think she will appreciate the non linear power delivery of the Scott Clough motor in my RD400.

The '82 or so Honda twin that looked like a mini '79 750F is cool too.
                    Last edited by 850 Combat; 05-15-2014, 08:04 PM.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Yeah, the GR could definitely be called an L model. Buckhorn bars, stepped seat, hideous rear fender and tail light...... and it only has a 5 speed transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                        Yeah, the GR could definitely be called an L model. Buckhorn bars, stepped seat, hideous rear fender and tail light...... and it only has a 5 speed transmission.
                        Yeah, that's not going to happen either.

Comment

If you Google Real Classic GR650 there are pictures of my GR's . No sign's of an L there.

Comment

Sharp scoot Paul!

Comment

Thank's Rich, my pride and joy at the moment.

Comment

"All round, the GR is a big improvement on the XS650 I used to run. If things had been different, perhaps this is a bike which Triumph coulda, shudda built in the 1970s…"

haha! The GR650 is the bike Yamaha should have built

Nice Bike there for sure! More T than L to my eye . I would certainly consider one if it came within reach. I love twins.

Comment

Working...
                                X