Help with valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with valve cover gasket

I have a 1988 gs450 project ive been working on.. I was having a ton of electrical problems, but they all seem to be worked out. Now I noticed that I have an oil leak around the valve cover. Does anyone know if the earlier model GS450 valve cover gaskets will work with the 1988? I keep seeing different things on ebay while trying to search for the part. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Might check out parts fiche on Suzuki parts company, thinking maybe different number of bolts on some. terrylee

Comment

Hi and welcome!

The best strategy is to get the OEM part number for the gasket. It's been my experience that most eBay sellers who sell Suzuki parts have little knowledge of these specific bikes and frequently post misleading or flat-out incorrect ads.

The best strategy is to go to a parts fiche site and look up the part in question. A lot of us here like partsoutlaw.com. You will get an OEM part number that you can then use to comparison-shop around the web, or you can order it straight from the vendor.

In this case, I see that your valve cover gasket has a part number of 11173-44111, which was superceded by 11173-44112. So either of those should get you what you want.

Most of us prefer OEM gaskets as they are of much higher quality than most aftermarket gaskets. Many have used aftermarket valve cover gaskets... they often work fine, but there is a higher incidence of leaks with aftermarket valve cover gaskets vs OEM ones. (Just be sure to use only OEM base and head gaskets. There are no suitable aftermarket base and head gaskets for Suzuki GSes.)

While you're in there, be sure to do a valve clearance check and adjustment. And if you haven't had the motor running, it wouldn't hurt to check the timing as well. (Very quick and easy, check the manual.)

Since this is your first post, I am obligated to point you to BassCliff's mega-welcome, which has pointers to everything you ever wanted to know about maintaining your soon-to-be-beloved Suzuki GS: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=196338
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I appreciate all the help!

Comment

Working...
        X