Valve cover removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover removal

I am looking to replace the valve cover on my 88 gs450. I have removed all the bolts, but the darn thing seems to be stuck on there. Anyone have any tips to getting this off?

If you're confident you've removed every fastener, try tapping round the edges with a rubber mallet or something similar. Probably the gasket is stuck fast to both the cover and the head, so you just need to break that seal. Don't try to hit it too hard, and don't be tempted to use your screwdriver as a pry bar!
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

gave it ba ubnch of wacks with a mallet. the only bolts i left on are the ones at the very top of the gasket which I beleive are alright to be on. I am thinking that the guy that owned it before me used some silicon to make a gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by chris032188 View Post
        gave it ba ubnch of wacks with a mallet. the only bolts i left on are the ones at the very top of the gasket which I beleive are alright to be on. I am thinking that the guy that owned it before me used some silicon to make a gasket.
        i only have 4 bolts left up top.

Comment

If you're talking about the four bolts that hold the breather cover, they shouldn't prevent the valve cover from lifting. If the PO has used silicon to make a gasket, it could be difficult to get the cover off. Can you use a small pick to remove a bit of excess gasket? Would help to know exactly what you're dealing with.
          1980 GS550ET

Comment

well i got the cxover off cleaned it all up and put new gasket in. The bad news is now the bike is running weird. It starts up, but if i let off gas it stalls out makes a tsskkk noise and stalls out after like 5-10 seconds. was running perfectly fine before this.

Comment

Originally posted by chris032188 View Post
              well i got the cxover off cleaned it all up and put new gasket in. The bad news is now the bike is running weird. It starts up, but if i let off gas it stalls out makes a tsskkk noise and stalls out after like 5-10 seconds. was running perfectly fine before this.
              How did you get the cover off?
              Did you adjust the valves while you were in there?
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It looks like on the top of the cover when it idles theres a hole and thats where its making the tsk noise - it looks like gas is shooting out / or possible water i quickly hosed off bike before starting it because i spilled fuel on it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  How did you get the cover off?
                  Did you adjust the valves while you were in there?
                  Nope didnt touch the valves - one of the circle things under the cams did move slightly but i put it back to were i thought it was (dk if that would do anything)

the noise is coming from the carb. on the right side.

Comment

Did you replace the breather pipe?
                    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                      Did you replace the breather pipe?
                      the thick one on top of valve cover? that hands freely correct?

I just watched it and I noticed there is a brass nipple on top of carb that I don't have any lines going too. I have 2 lines going to gas tank (1 supplying carb and one just hanging. Is that hanigng one supposed to go to this barb??

Comment

image sharing

Comment

The breather pipe should run from the breather cover (on top of the valve cover) back to the airbox.

I'm not familiar with the carbs on your bike, but I'm guessing that the spare line is a vacuum line, and needs to be connected where you suggested. Try it, let us know.
                          1980 GS550ET

Comment

uploading pictures

I am not running an air box - i am running 2 pods

Comment

Ok, that's why the breather hose is loose. At some stage, you may want to make a catch can, but that's not related to the stalling.

Did you connect the other hose to the carbs yet?
                              1980 GS550ET

Comment

Working...
                              X