Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS450L clutch rod/drive sprocket area...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS450L clutch rod/drive sprocket area...

So as the work continues (endlessly repairing replacing worn/stripped fasteners, replacing cables, clean clean clean, scrape rust...) I got into the cover for the drive sprocket and found it to be coated with hardened grease, dirt, and rust. The cover's drain hole was covered, and while every part of this bike looks as if it had been disassembled and reassembled 5x over, this area looks untouched. This brings up a few questions, and all advice is certainly welcomed!

1. What I am assuming to be the clutch push rod (red arrow) has a good bit of play, maybe a 1/2" or so. Is that an issue? What should I be looking for?

2. I can see very slight cupping on the sprocket (~10,600 miles), is it worth replacing? Cost effective recommendations?

3. Worm gear is cleaned and lightly greased. New clutch cable is routed. What else would you do?

Now I need to get in there and scrub and brush and whatnot. Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I had mine apart there recently, and my rod had basically zero play in any side direction if that's what you're talking about. I may not be right on this, but I'm pretty sure that rod slips into a grommet that's pressed into the case which keeps it from having any play. If I'm right perhaps you just need a new grommet. I hope this helps.

btw, I'm having a different issue with that are right now. If can help me out with it I'd really appreciate it. My thread on it is here with yours.

Comment

play in/out, towards the clutch pack. i didn't even see the screws on the bracket as they are completely caked in old grease. looked at the manual and saw where they, indeed, are.

also, i've made my first stupid move and one that i am not proud of. when checking to see if the engine was seized or not, i ever so slowly turned the engine over by hand. to my delight, it moved freely and very easily. cams moved, little puff from around the plug hole, all is well. then, a kind of "clunk" sound as the cam chain slipped. i kind of sat there staring at the engine for a solid silent minute, realizing what i had just done; forgot i had the tensioner out to replace a gasket that was missing and causing a seeping leak. i was holding onto the crank at the time and didn't feel any contact or impact, so i guess there's that. now to get it back into correct timing...
      Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2014, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X