replaced cam chain tensioner noisey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replaced cam chain tensioner noisey

Hey everyone i think i might know what it is but wanted to ask. My old cam chain tensioner was working great but the seal was bad on the side with the spring and was blowing oil. A friend of mine gave me one that worked fine off his gs550 that dropped a valve figured i would try it. The spring side unwinds and works. I did not have any moly lube so oiled it up good as far as i know the rod that pushes on the guide only fits one way if the slots were not lined up it would not go in far enough. I do not think its my cam chain it was silent with the old one.
    From what suzuki says all the 2 bolt air cooled are the same. The spring on the twist wheel seems like it is all the way in when its on the bike. It clatters like heck you can feel it in the little turn wheel on it the only way to quiet it down is to almost tighten the set screw to the point its locked down. Any ideas Will pull it tomorrow and check it out again. If i can't find anything i will pull the 30 mm nut and put that part on my tensioner that is where the seal is leaking. I am having a bad time with the local suzuki shop otherwise i would have gotten the orings and seal and rebuilt my old one. Glad its pretty easy to change

Did you read the instructions about how to install it?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Did you read the instructions about how to install it?
      Several times haynes and clymor manuals do not say much but i have a factory suzuki 550 manual. Should be the same i will read it several more times before i start

Comment

got it fixed

Got it fixed today. I have no idea what the rod was out of mine was much longer

Comment

The 550 one is shorter that the 450 one?

Good to know, since I have one of each type engine taken apart on the same table at the moment.

Thanks.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I was not supposto be but it was maybe it was out of the early 3 bolt style i am not sure . Bad part was when it was in its slot and the set screw was 1/4 turn out it looked the same but with the knob all the way in it was barely touching and clacking like crazy. Works great with my old rod nice and quiet. So quiet infact that i can hear a whirling noise in the motor i think it is the clutch rod spinning . I did not do it before i cleaned and adjusted the whole mechanism will check it tomorrow.

Comment

clutch rod

The shorter clutch rod came out of a 4 valve es model 550 and also fits a gs700e. Always something on my bikes just glad its fixed

Comment

Working...
              X