High idle when warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High idle when warm

I just bought a very nice 1981 GS450T. The bike has low miles but is clean. It has developed a condition where as the bike warms up and has been running I would say 10 minutes, the idle RPM will start to climb higher and higher.

Other notes, hit the gas and it will drop back down.
    It will start to stutter and stammer while they climb
    Exhaust is pretty cool, I expect hotter exhaust which leads me to believe it is very rich
    Has nothing to do with the cable
    Choke is full off

I will be checking for vacuum leaks and have the feels the carbs may have the floats stuck and it is dumping fuel. If you have another suggestion I will take it. Just looking for some direction. I have a tendency to miss the easier things searching for bigger things.

Usually indicates intake leak.

Comment

Thank you

I tend to over think things

Comment

And you set the idle on a fully warmed up bike. The cylinders become more efficient as they come to temperature..thus setting it when the engine is too cold leads to a higher idle when its warmed up.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

have a look here too

note the pdf file available at the top of the page.

If you get no response turning in the idle-mixture screws, that's a symptom of a separate problem...ie leaking manifolds,broken screw tips,missing or broken o-rings on needles,dirty passages etc.

Comment

Working...
          X