"TSK" noise 1988 GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"TSK" noise 1988 GS450

I have a thread in project section, but I figured this question would get more noticed in here.. While my bike is idling it will randmoly make a "TSSSK" noise that you can see moves the carb and you can feel in the bars.

Here is a link to the video of it doing it (you can hear it around twelve seconds and again around 23seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txlmsDjIbI

this video is private...
    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

I'm a moron - video isnt private anymore.

Comment

Obviously it's burning all of the fuel / air mixture between the carb and the combustion chamber. TSK noise then the engine slows, as theres nothing there to burn the next stroke. Check valve clearances, cam timing and ignition timing, also just being too lean will do that. Something is letting the flame get out into the intake.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Obviously it's burning all of the fuel / air mixture between the carb and the combustion chamber. TSK noise then the engine slows, as theres nothing there to burn the next stroke. Check valve clearances, cam timing and ignition timing, also just being too lean will do that. Something is letting the flame get out into the intake.
          Thanks bud - appreciate the response

Comment

Originally posted by chris032188 View Post
            Thanks bud - appreciate the response
            Ok - I just messed around with bike a little (I haven't checked timing or clearance yet, but I did notice something).

The exhaust on the bike is hollowed out. If I hold a rag at the right exhaust (only on the right side) and create some back pressure in the pipe it stops the noise.

Anyone with more knowledge then me would have any idea what this indicates?

Also anyone have a good recommendation of a feeler gauge top get for this job?
            Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2014, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chris032188 View Post
              Ok - I just messed around with bike a little (I haven't checked timing or clearance yet, but I did notice something).

The exhaust on the bike is hollowed out. If I hold a rag at the right exhaust (only on the right side) and create some back pressure in the pipe it stops the noise.

Anyone with more knowledge then me would have any idea what this indicates?

Also anyone have a good recommendation of a feeler gauge top get for this job?
              It's lean.

Blocking the exhaust makes it less lean.

Comment

It's lean.

Blocking the exhaust makes it less lean.
                Gonna try and riddle your mind real quick.. Now since one cylinder is leaner then other (atleast thats how it seems) should i richen up just that side or do both equal like it is now?

Comment

What maintenance have you done so far?

Comment

That tsk is a misfire, If you've done the maintenance, chances are the carbs are not set up for a free flowing intake or exhaust.

If not, clean the carbs, check the jet sizes, check the valves... lots of little things.
                    Stephen.
                    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

Not misfiring, it's firing outside the combustion chamber, between the carb and the engine.

Either firing when the intake valve is still open, or it's lean.

Comment

What maintenance have you done so far?

New r/r and stator, and cleaned the cab.

Ordered a set of feeler gauges and the tappet depressor to do the valves on last night so I'll be doing that.

Comment

Well did the valve check right exhaust was .1 with a 2.60 shim in there so I ordered a 2.65 shim - hopefully this fixes the problem

Comment

Working...
                          X