Oil leak diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak diagnosis

I am going to rebuild or at least fix up a 1982 GS45GAZ automatic. I have the engine out to shine and paint/powder coat. At this point I am hoping someone can tell from the pictures if the leak is the cylinder heads or not. Since I have the engine out, should remove the heads and replace the gasket now or later . Thanks

It looks like a very weepy head gasket to me, but sometimes it's hard to be sure without cleaning the engine and running it to see where it leaks from. If you have the engine out and want to be 100% sure then replace the head gasket, base gasket, valve cover gasket (and half-moon plugs), and tach drive seals. Maybe even the cam chain tensioner gaskets and seals if oil has been collecting there as well. These can all be done with the engine in the bike, so its your call whether to do any (or all) of them now or later.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I will be replacing the valve cover gasket to check the valve clearance. The cam chain tensioner is leaking so I have a gasket for that... seals, not so much. I guess I better find that thread again for the part numbers. I was hoping it was from somewhere besides the head gasket. The tach drive is dry and covered, so no leaks there.

So, it will be easier to replace the head gasket with the engine out I suspect so I will purchase that gasket also. I came to that conclusion as I first posted, just wanted to mull it over since I have never taken an engine apart before.

Comment

If you didn't already have the engine out I'd say"maybe head gasket can be re-torqued to stop seepage,when you are doing valves". ....But if you are doing a full rebuild well I guess you don't want to put it back together and find re-torquing still seeps.
        You have a torque wrench I hope?

Comment

Working...
        X