Shifter shaft issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter shaft issue

So I'm not sure how I did it, but I've managed to get the shifter's shaft into the casing about 3/8" while both side covers were off (replacing gaskets and oil seal). My terrible search skills have suggested that this has happened before and is obviously not new, and that removing the clutch basket may be necessary. No problem there, but what to do once the clutch basket is off... I had thought of slowly rolling the bike while wiggling the shifter but since I don't know what is going on mechanically, I figure that I should ask first. I await your sage advice!

Once again, we are forced to ask ...

WHAT BIKE ARE WE TALKING ABOUT???

Since you don't mention it in your post, at least generate a signature that mentions it so you don't have to remember to do it every time.

Our only clue is that it's a twin, but they are not all the same.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oops, you're correct. Totally my fault.

1980 GS450L

Comment

Something must have got out of normal- pull basket . Here's a pic of parts thereimage.jpg
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

i ended up fixing it while taking apart the clutch basket just to see what was all behind it. i kid of wiggled the lever while pulling out from the left side. it slid right in, found neutral pretty quick.

Comment

EDIT: Oops, disregard. Sounds like you got it.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
            X