GSX400E Clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX400E Clutch issue

Good Day Gents I have myself a 1986 GSX400e that i have been rebuilding and have a few questions about the bike's clutch, I had the left side casing off and the rod that pushes the clutch disengaged out while taking the engine out of the frame, Now that everything is back in place I have 2x problems A: i forgot how the cable ran and i have an awekward bend on the clutch cable by the hand lever, thus making me think i have run the cable completely wrong, and B it feels like the clutch is needlessly heavy compared to what I remember the bike being like prior to its strip down, is anyone able to enlighten me as to what may be the issue? The clutch is very heavy even with out having an awkward bend in it as well so its not the bend thats causing it, maybe its just because it hasnt run for 19 odd years?

Also just for less clutter, My guages lights are not working, all the warning lights and the gear indicator lights are fine, what wire do the gauges run off?? I imagine that I just missed one wire?

CableRoute2.jpg<---Click on the images to make them bigger
    Severe bends and a cable in bad shape can cause hard pull and also wear cable out quickly...but clutch pushrod is a possible too.
    The clutch itself is merely springs that you pull against. They won't get "harder" unless you or Previous Owner fiddled with the clutch cage bolts... The plates themselves do get gummy glued together when unused for a long time and you may also find this as a problem when you get the rest sorted out.

from wiring diagram gauge lights are: grey wires=pos and Black with white stripe= ground="earth"=negative
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-27-2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Oh great, thank you very much, I have it all wrong my side, I have it following the accelerator cable which won't help, and I'll check that those wires are plugged in properly too

Comment

these are for the '81 bikes but I hope they will help on your '86. ..I guess the main thing is to be able to maintain smooth curves with the cables securely attached to frame AND to be able to turn steering-lock to steering-lock without binding. ...Especially so on throttle cables! so have a look at them too.

Comment

Working...
        X