How reliable are out old machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How reliable are out old machines?

This is something i'm thinking about allot, i restored\caffe'd a 84 GSX400(8V)
    I don't ride it daily but i would like to go on trips from time to time and always wonder if my bike is reliable.
    can i go on a 300-400 miles trip without concern?
    can i "trust" the bike for long rides at constant highway speeds (+/-120 Kmh)
    so far i'm riding mostly on weekends and the longest ride was ~140 miles (not at once but total)
    the only issue i had was the bolt holding the shift linkage on the shaft came loose one time during riding, other than that it was fine.

Things i did:
    Engine
    new timing chain and tensioner
    new valve seals, and valve lapped
    new gaskets all around
    new inlet manifolds
    carbs cleaned and rebuilt
    new clutch friction plates
    GS500 oil pump
    New chain and sprockets

Electrics:
    new harness (made by me)
    rzr reg\rec
    coil relay mod
    modern fuse box
    relays for headlight and horn
    new ignition switch

Frame:
    new swing arm bearings
    new steering bearings
    new handlebars (renthal)
    new clutch and brake handles
    new throttle (R1)

Suspension and brakes
    new rear shocks
    rebuilt front fork with new oil seals,bushings and progressive springs
    new front and rear wheel bearings
    rebuilt master cylinder
    rebuilt caliper
    braided steel brake hose

I used only OEM parts (rebuild kits,gaskets etc)
    I replaced all the cables and hoses to new ones

Well it looks like you have all the maintenance items covered off so I'd say you are good to go.

The thing with reliability is that you really need to stay on top of issues. You have done all the repairs and upgrades but you can't just forget about it all and be on your merry way. You should (if you are not in the habit) get in the mind set of a pilot and do a preflight every time before you set out. Keep an eye and ear on things as you ride and address them as soon as something goes off....and it will not matter how well your refurb has been.

The Achilles heel of all old bikes is the electrics. You have refurbed them, which is great, but do you have a volt meter to keep an eye on things as you ride. They are cheap enough these days and even a $5 analog one will tell you if something is happening before it turns in to a disaster. Nothing worse than riding 50 miles, stopping for a pee and being unable to start the bike as the battery went **** up. Cheap insurance in my mind and the first upgrade I make to any new bike.

Keep on top of things, keep her clean and topped up and you'll be good to go for many years.

Ride safe and have fun.

Comment

Agreed with Spyrug You have to keep electric in mind. Every time I got stranded it was because my GS was having electrical issues.

I have gone 300 mile rides with my 83 GR650 and after all is said and done it preformed perfectly. I've taken my GS750 out to Buffalo NY ridden around all week and came back about 1000 miles and had no complaints minus a really hot day(100') and she was overheating (going 85 mph extended on the interstate). I just pulled it over let it cool and she was ready to go.

Also keep in mind cables too. If there old they will fail eventually. My GS 750 ate a speedo cable every other year and a clutch cable about once a year. I had EBC aftermarket clutch springs so the extra strain might have had something to do with it, but the 750 did a great job for a few years and logged a minimum of 15k miles on it a year before I traded it in for my Bandit 1200.

I would recomend going the route of a newer bike if you plan on putting over 10k miles a year on your machine. But for a mean 5k miles a year I'll happily and surly log it on a GS (or GR for me now).
      Jedz Moto
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2002 Honda Reflex 250
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
      2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
      Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

My Ride in NM

I was very fortunate with my "T" in that I had no electrical issues the whole 10 months I was in Alamogordo, NM. When I did have starting problems, I jump started her with a gentle roll.

The shop I took her to did a great job replacing old connections and my R/R didn't give me problems even though Bill wondered why I never replaced it.

The longest ride I went on was roughly 250 miles, right Bill?

enjoy the ride and be safe.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Working...
        X