Gr 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gr 650

I've owned and used 11 suzuki gs motors since the early 80's, a gsx250(1) gsx 400(3) gs 450 T (1) gs550L (1)gs 650(1) gs850 (4): the only engines that i have had any kind of mechanical malady with has been the smaller twins in that the gsx tended to burn out exhaust valves, and one knocked the balance shaft shell bearings out and scrapped the engine, i learned the hard way to check and clean the oil strainer. I have recently become aware of the gr 650 twin, and seen them for sale, but i know nothing at all about these engines in the longevity or reliability stakes, can you offer an experienced owners view or know of common issues.. (staters;rec/regs): thanks Robbie

Check here...jedz123 has a rebuild thread in the process.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...nd-Improvement!
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Good stuff, a more advanced engine with some great innovations in it, and a TDCC (2 valve per cyl Twin Dome Combustion Chamber, same as on the XN85 turbo 650-four cyl) combustion chamber and piston design similar to the TSCC Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber (4 valve per cyl) design. Clutching flywheel to add low rpm rotational mass and unclutches at higher speeds to let the engine spin up like a lightweight race engine. Much taller engine and completely different crankcase than the earlier GS twins.

The frames are Excellent also, with a "full floater" monoshock rear end and substantial frame bracing. They handle very well on twisty roads. The front brake is the only big downfall. The rotors warp a lot under heavy use, and the brake could use a slight bit more power. A better (older) GS rotor or EBC replacement rotor and a stainless steel braided brake line and a good set of pads would improve them to a satisfactory level. As Jedz123 and I discussed, it looks like the common Honda 296mm CBR/VFR rotor upgrade with a Ninja/GS500 "twinpot" caliper with the adapter brackets that Salty_Monk on here makes and sells would be a bolt on for the GR650 models with the 275mm brakes. I read a spec that listed a GR650 with a 260mm brake however. That isn't what Jedz' has, but that would be very weak if that was not a typo that I read.
      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
      X