Which "t" mark to use on gs400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which "t" mark to use on gs400

I am about to install the camshafts on a GS400. I don't have a factory manual, only a Clymers and it says to align the "T" as shown in the picture below. Trouble is the picture is of a GS450 and partly obscured and the markings are in a different formation than on the bike I am working on.

I am thinking it should be on the RH cyl at TDC -- i.e. the "T" mark for RH cylinder.

Can anyone help with specific info.

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2014, 01:09 AM.

Don, I did not see "the picture below" in your post, but I checked the version of the Clymier manual in "the library" (BassCliff's site) and saw the these specific instructions:

Using large hex shoulder of advance governor (Figure 21) rotate engine until timing mark (T) for right (R) cylinder aligns with mark on engine cover. This positions right piston at TDC (top dead center).
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Don, I did not see "the picture below" in your post, but I checked the version of the Clymier manual in "the library" (BassCliff's site) and saw the these specific instructions:
      Thanks Steve, I missed that vital information on my reading of the manual. That info was in the LH column on P.56 and I was reading info on the RH side column of P.56 which more or less stated to align the marks according to a diagram that was on the page, but the diagram was a bit vague.

Anyway it's all ready to put the cams in now. I got the head on last night after having the faced and the seats in the head machined to the correct contour and passages ported. That rectangular "O" ring around the cam chain tunnel is a headache to get it to fit correctly though.

Does anyone know if the front cam can be installed in the correct position (No. 1 arrow facing forward aligned with top head joint surface), clamped down with vice grips and bolted into place with the cam bearing caps and then move on to the rear cam. Or do both cams have to be inserted together to get enough chain slack around them. In other words if I bolt the front cam in place is there enough chain slack to fit the chain over the rear cam sprocket?

Thanks

Some pics of work so far.

Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Go ahead, snug down the exhaust cam, then install the intake cam. There is plenty of slack, as long as you have not installed the tensioner (which you shouldn't do yet).

Be careful when you count the pins between the marks on the cams. Realize that the pin that is over the #2 mark is pin #1, not pin #0. Can't tell you how many times I mis-counted that. I would always start counting at the pin next to the one over the #2 mark, meaning I was always one pin off.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I am aware of the pin counting situation from working on my 550, but always good to get a timely reminder.

I installed the cams yesterday arvo, installed idler sprocket, cam chain tensioner and did the shims. Why is it that on the very last bucket it requires a shim size you do not have. So close and then having to wait a week for a shim to turn up.

This bike must have been a hybrid that Suzuki brought out. In the Clymer manual it says the GS400 has two 6mm bolts on the outer edge of the head near where the spark plugs are fitted and the GS450 does not have these but a 6mm bolt at the front between the two cylinders. This bike is the other way around. It is a GS400 but with the 6mm bolt at the front and nothing out near the spark plugs. Also this bike is a '79 model and is a two valve model. Going by all the stats around (i.e. the U.S. models the '79 was a 4-valve model [GSX]). So maybe this model was only produced for Australia.

What I would give for a Suzuki factory manual, but they don't seem to be available.

Thanks again Steve

Comment

Working...
          X