clutch plate cover removal help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch plate cover removal help!

I've been struggling to take off my clutch cover plate on my Gsx400L. I cannot seem to switch gears (bike does not run) and I'm hoping its the same issue I had with the rear brakes, where there was some rust that was preventing everything from moving. I've found a picture to show what I'm trying to remove, I've got the 5 bolts out, now is it just rust and gunk holding it on?

picture is of a 450s I believe.

Just so you know, that is where the cable pulls on the mechanism that releases the clutch,
    but the clutch itself is on the other side of the bike.

Have you tried rocking the rear wheel while trying to shift gears?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can you post pic of your bike ( what year)- might be some what different than the posted pic of a 450. That cover in your pic is of the magneto/stator stuff. As Steve said, the clutch is on other side, a rod traverses crankcase and releases clutch.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Is the shifter locked? Like it wont move or click at all... You'll need to pull the cover off the other side. I was working on my GR650 and the spring popped off and locked the shifter.

It's the little spring that clasps the stud. That fell off locking the shifter assembly. I replaced the clutch and must have knocked it off. You have to remove the clutch basket to get access...

It's not too bad believe it or not... But this is the side the clutch is at. this is with the basket off to fix the shifter. That shift shaft will move out if the clutch cover is off so if anyone has taken the clutch cover off likely the shaft slid out then the spring came off and is now jamming up your shifter...

If that's your issue I hope I've been helpful.

The clutch it self has nothing to do with shifting the transmission when the bike is off... Nothing like a car.
        Jedz Moto
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2002 Honda Reflex 250
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
        2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
        Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Hey you guys, sorry about taking so long to reply, the engine is from my GsX400L (the Canadian model with 4 vavles per cyl.) On the picture of my "cover", you see where my shifter would attach I'm wondering if that is rusted together preventing it from coming off? Or do I need to fiddle with that clutch tensioner part that hides behind that cap with 2 screws?
          Sorry, new to motorcycles, not sure what all the parts are called and don't have a parts fishe open at the moment. Thanks for any help.

Comment

well it seems you have all the bolts removed, there is a locating pin, top right, so this cover should just pop off, however you do have some rust and crud around the shift lever shaft, might want to clean that up, otherwise a bit of gently prying, wiggling, pulling and cursing, that cover should come off, I use a flat spatula at times to get in between the cover and engine case and work my way around ever so slowly, making sure you do not gouge the cover or the case, I think patience will be your friend on this one

Comment

Update! Thanks for the help guys, it just needed I little shove, then a big shove....with a hammer. Cover is off now, all the gunk and bugs are cleaned out and the chain is now out of the way. It was the chain that was snagged up, preventing anything from moving, so it was stuck in gear? correct me if I'm wrong!
              So now that sprocket moves freely, frontwards and back in neutral? and if I switch gears, then turn the sprocket it will shift into the next? That's what I want right?!? This is a good thing I hope!

Poor quality photo of the chain all caught up

Comment

Misread your question
                Last edited by cowboyup3371; 03-12-2015, 10:50 PM.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by C_OUELLET View Post
                  Update! Thanks for the help guys, it just needed I little shove, then a big shove....with a hammer. Cover is off now, all the gunk and bugs are cleaned out and the chain is now out of the way. It was the chain that was snagged up, preventing anything from moving, so it was stuck in gear? correct me if I'm wrong!
                  So now that sprocket moves freely, frontwards and back in neutral? and if I switch gears, then turn the sprocket it will shift into the next? That's what I want right?!? This is a good thing I hope!

Sounds like you have it fixed, try turning the wheel as you move the shift lever, it should go through all six gears and back down smoothly? If so it's probably going to work.

Buy new chain and sprockets, that one looks dangerous!
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                  X