Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head gasket needs replaced what else while I'm there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head gasket needs replaced what else while I'm there?

I have noticed that I have a slight air leak in my head gasket on my 1981 GS450L while warming up.
    When I get around to replacing that what else should I do while I'm "there" with the engine out and tore down to that point?

I have no idea how long it has been or what else has been done on it.

Thanks

How many miles are on the engine? has it been pushing any blue smoke on start up or while riding it?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

It has around 20,000 on the engine. It pushes some whitish smoke, perhaps a bit bluish on start up with the choke all the way up for a min or two.

Comment

Likely your valve stem seals are gone, order those and really rings aren't too much you might want to consider doing those as well since you have it all apart, but of course you might find the ones you have well within spec. once you start measuring everything in there. What ever you do make sure you order nothing more than OEM Suzuki for the gaskets/seals.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

What do you mean by "slight air leak"? This time of year (cold and damp) it is common for there to be some white to bluish smoke on warm up as water condensation in the pipe vaporizes.

Unless you have noticeable oil consumption, or oil fouled sparkplugs, it is usually not worth the effort/expense to fix it. I'd check the torque on the cylinder stud nuts first. 20K is not that much on these old bikes.

Comment

At warm up I notice a small amount of exhaust coming from the head gasket by cam chain tensioned.
            That is what I mean by small leak.

Comment

If you are going to remove the head gasket, be advised that you WILL disturb the cylinders and mess up the base gasket, so plan on changing that, too.

By the way, you can do all that without removing the engine from the frame.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

AND before you remote the cylinders, Clean the crap out between the cylinders.

When you pull the head up, dirt will drop into the engine from the 4 middle studs since they are open to the
                Sand will gather in the little pockets where the studs go through and will be the first thing to drop down when you lift the cylinders up.

So pick at it. Blow it out , vacuum, what ever you have to do to get the crap out.

Also before you start do a compression check just for the hell of it so you know what your starting with.

Lap the valves while your in there as well.
                Stephen.
                1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                  AND before you remote the cylinders, Clean the crap out between the cylinders.

When you pull the head up, dirt will drop into the engine from the 4 middle studs since they are open to the
                  Sand will gather in the little pockets where the studs go through and will be the first thing to drop down when you lift the cylinders up.

So pick at it. Blow it out , vacuum, what ever you have to do to get the crap out.

Also before you start do a compression check just for the hell of it so you know what your starting with.

Lap the valves while your in there as well.
                  What he said, the only way I have found to remove cylinders without dumping the rust and dirt inside the engine is to turn it on it's end so it's not downhill to fall into the cylinders. No matter how much you clean, the crud between the center studs won't come loose until the cylinder lifts up, by then it's too late.

Don't think I've ever gotten cylinders off without spilling crap down into the cases except by turning it on it's end.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                  X