Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bike for me

Hi,
    Last fall I purchased a 1983 GR650. It needed quite a bit of work but I have it working now but I do have an issue with it not idling correctly. I've lurked on this site and believe I covered everything but my carbs are schizophrenic! Sometimes it idles nicely (@ 1000rpm) and other times it will idle @ 3500rpm and some times in between. Things I have done so far:
    • take carbs apart, soak in carb cleaner for 24 hours, run compressed air through the various openings and inlets
    • replaced the main jets with the proper size - 132.5 (It had 142.5 but the bike came with air pods filters)
    • replaced pilots jets
    • replaced o-rings that looked bad
    • checked the float levels (one need just a slight adjustment)
    • put the original airbox back on and sealed it, and put in a new air filter
    • replaced intake pipes and associated o-rings and clamps.
    • replaced throttle cable
    • check choke cable and it and the throttle cable work properly
    • the connectors from the airbox to the carbs seems to be good, no obvious cracks or holes.
    • adjusted the valves as needed. 2 of them are barely within spec (i.e. tight). Is it better to have them a little loose or tight?
    • I've adjusted the idle mixture screw to about 1.5 - 2 turns out.
    • I've checked the carb synch. It is a little bit off but I really don't know how close they have to be.

The bike seems to accelerate ok. It has been a long time since I had a bike so I really don't have a good grasp on that. I did take it to a shop and the mechanic rebuilt the petcock. He did take for a ride and noted that the the idle does hang a bit but he said it may just need to be ridden some more and may settle down (and also implied that today's gas with ethanol is partly to blame). Anyways, I ridden through a few tankfuls and the problem seems to be getting worse. So I've missed something. There has to be a logical reason. ANy thoughts would be appreciated

Since we all like pictures, here are a few...
    • bike with rattle can paint job (PO did it)
    • brake master cylinder with (really) old brake fluid (cleaned and replaced)
    • worn front sprocket (also replaced)
    • Carb synch at @ 1700 rpms... (is this OK?)

Mark

Attached Files

next pic?
    Attached Files

Comment

Another one
      Attached Files

Comment

last one
        Attached Files

Comment

Cool GR!

The sync should be done with a lower idle. But do the valves first (the exhaust valves are generally better off on the loose side - which valves of your are tight?). I can't help too much with stock carbs / intake.....I haven't run stock in years.

If you decide to get rid of the rear rack, I know somebody who is desperately looking for one!

Edit: search around for a tutorial about cleaning ALL that sludge from your brake system. If it's in the MC, it is in the caliper too. And you can use a master cylinder from a GS500 if yours is too far gone.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2015, 10:20 PM.

Comment

So on 1 cylinder the intake is .03 and on the other the exhaust is .03. (spec is .03 to .08).

I got the front brake all cleaned up and it works well.

I found the rack at a swap meet. I had to bend it a bit to fit, but it turned out nice.

Comment

I would do the exhaust valve to get it on the loose side of the tolerance, but check the intake after a couple thousand miles. They will only get tighter...

Comment

FYI: Old vacuum lines was the culprit of my idle issues. They didn't seem to be bad but when I pulled them off and plug the vacuum inlet with my fingers the idle immediately went down... Went to Napa and spent $1 on new tubing and voila!

Comment

Working...
                X