Engine Noise: Cam Chain or Valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Noise: Cam Chain or Valves?

When cruising, typically in 4th or 5th gear (I don't really notice it it in 1st, 2nd or 3rd) I have been noticing a kind of slapping noise coming from the engine. It happens while 'maintaining speed' and so either letting up on the throttle or giving it a little more makes the noise go away. I should also say that if I'm going over a bit of bumpy road slowly I hear the same noise which leads me to think maybe the cam chain tensioner isn't working correctly and the chain is wiggling around a bit.

I need to check my valves anyway, but does this sound like it could be the tensioner?
    Bike is a 1981 GS450
    Thanks in advance.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

So you are sure its not the drive chain?

Ok,check valve clearances- when cover is off you'll sorta get idea if your chain has excessive slack. But best to remove tensioner, reset, and reinstall correctly so you are 100% sure. Good time to check camshaft to crankshaft timing too.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

This is embarrassing but it was the drive chain! I feel very stupid.
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
        This is embarrassing but it was the drive chain! I feel very stupid.
        To atone for your sins,check valve clearances.Get oem cam cover gasket and a set of feeler gauges that include a .0015 inch blade, (yes .0015 inch, not .010)
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Or do it right with metric ones.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Or do it right with metric ones.
            He's in Boston, so no sense confusing him with metric system.
            1981 gs650L

Comment

He didn't mention being a moron from Boston.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I hope he notices your fascination with "L" models and doesn't get distracted from his valve adjust mission.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                X