Super hard to shift into any gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super hard to shift into any gear

Hey guys I was wondering if you guys have any pointers on this, it's an original 1 owner bike hasn't been started since 1980 bike is a 1978 gs400x it's got a Brad new chain. I recently got it running good except the shifting of gears. It feels like it's super frozen.

When I shift gears it's really hard to do so and in order for me to shift into 3Rd and beyond I have to press down on the lever slightly and then slip my foot under the shifter to shift up. The shifter is really really frozen. Something definitely seems like it has to be lubed, I looked under the front sprocket cover and didn't really see anything, any ideas?
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

I tried adjusting the clutch in every possible posistion and srtting, So yeah all 6 gears work but it's really, really stiff. The actualgear shift lever is frozen and its like theres no return spring, Anyone with this kind of experience? There was oil sitting in the cases when it was stored.. Please don't tell me I have to split the cases

Edit: so I don't see how the problem can be within the cases, the trany and everything was bathed in oil all those years and the bike kicks right over and starts perfectly, the clutch plates used to stick but I did bath them for a couple days and now the clutch lever pulls nice and free. I'm thinkin the only possible thing is something within that right hand side clutch cover.. but even then I put all the springs and 10mm bolts in the star pattern and the cover went on nice and easy.

Edit #2 when I take side cover off (right hand) it is normal again, when I tighten bolts I check the shifter and it becomes stiff. Something is happening in this side cover I gotta figure it out
    Last edited by GabrielGoes; 08-15-2015, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post

Edit #2 when I take side cover off (right hand) it is normal again, when I tighten bolts I check the shifter and it becomes stiff. Something is happening in this side cover I gotta figure it out
      Sounds like you are on the right path.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

With the right side cover off the shift lever may be disengaging from the gear it meshes with and turning freely. When you put the cover on it is meshing again and not turning any more.

Pull out the long push rod for the clutch actuator and roll it on a flat surface to see if it's bent. Did you adjust the clutch actuator/release screw per the manual? Make sure the clutch hub nut is tight. Pull the friction plates and steels out and make sure they are not stuck together. Good luck.
        Regards,
        Jason

Comment

Solved.

I used permatex gasket to create a gasket was the problem. Yes the oem gasket created just enough space between the clutch Cover and the gear shifter shaft. I shaved about exactly 1mm off the clutch cover it was a nub on the casting that goes directly to where the gear shifter shaft is. Problem went away, jeEze who knew 1mm would make all that difference.

Comment

Working...
          X