1980 GS450 clutch pushrod oil leak. FIXED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS450 clutch pushrod oil leak. FIXED

Just wanted to start off with saying hey to everyone on here (my first post) and how great of a forum this is for all GS riders. Lots of info! Anyways, back to the oil leak. I recently picked up a 1980 Suzuki GS 450L, prior owner had it for 20 years and it has less than 11k miles on it. I picked it up cheap knowing it had some issues. The carbs were a little dirty and it had a pretty good oil leak coming from the clutch pushrod seal. I found a little info on here, but no definitive fix besides using the screw idea. So I thought I'd share my how to. Apparently they had two different seals for the pushrod, one being pressed in from the backside, and one from the front. I was unlucky enough to have the one pressed in from the back. So instead of using the screw idea I slowly drilled multiple holes and cut it away from the pushrod then twisted the lip out of the groove in the block casing. Hopefully that all made sense? 20150821_163604.jpg

This is just showing the lip on the seal. 20150821_163547.jpg

Comment

I had grind down the hold down bracket to fit properly. It worked and I've been leak free since the repair.20150821_165748.jpg

Comment

Here are the part numbers I used just in case someone else may need them.20150821_182037.jpg

Comment

Thanks, GSRider!
          Pix appreciated and I'll save them in my stache against the day it does....Mine's not leaking yet, but it seems to be pretty common problem so I bought the seal when I did the gearshift seal

Comment

Similar problem on the 250TT...

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
            It's smoke that make electronic components work.
            Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
            '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
            '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
            '82 GS1000SZ
            '82 GS1100GL
            '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

You're welcome! I forgot to mention I had to grind down the hold down bracket on the top left corner as it was rubbing the block a little and wouldn't lay flat on the seal. Yeah, from all the reading I have done it seems like a pretty common thing for sure.

Comment

Working...
              X