GS450 Burning oil out of Right exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Burning oil out of Right exhaust

Hey all, i have an 82 Suzuki GS450tx with 274xx K miles on the motor (I dont know any rebuild history on the engine)

Anyways i started noticing white smoke coming out of the right exhaust pipe, i notice it mainly when i run the bike, shut it off for 10 minutes or so and go back out riding

I only see it when i come to a stop at a light, and eventually it goes away while waiting at the light?

Im thinking my valve seals are leaking?
    But why the smoke out of the left pipe, the exhaust is an H pipe

Anyways, anyone have any thoughts....

Syptoms: White Cloud out of Right Exhaust Pipe

When it happens
    After restart (Hot)
    At light
    Doesnt do it at every light

What ive done to the engine
    A little bit of sea foam in the gas, (200 miles ago its been refilled)
    Oil Change (200 Miles ago, was doing it before)
    Spark Plugs (300 Miles ago)
    The bike is running alot better, however i would like to solve the Cloud, thank you!
    Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2015, 01:51 AM.

Sure sounds like valve stem seals.
    Do you have to refill the oil often?
    Is it fouling the plugs?
    Is there a engine crankcase breather that is blocked?
    I don't know the 2cly well so Im just thinking out loud.

I had a bike that smoked liked that a yamaha 4cly 750, I never had to add oil between 1500 mile changes and it never had any adverse affect, ran fine for years that way.
    I always looked at it this way, the valve stems, at least a few of them, were getting lubed good

Comment

Originally posted by hockey911 View Post

with 274xx K miles on the motor
      Just curious what this means? 274 thousand miles? That's fairly high for a twin.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I havent had the oil in long enought to notice how much im burning, but i cant imagine its a whole lot, one drop of oil makes a nice cloud
        The spark plugs when i pulled them (god knows how long they were in there) looked rich

And its 27 thousand miles on the engine

Comment

The exhausts pretty much match with the cylinders...an issue in one cylinder stays in it's pipe. if your description was COLD starting, and on the left side, I'd hope it was condensation ...water pooling in the mufflers sitting on the sidestand, like most cars are in cool weather.

But since it isn't, I'm puzzled too. I'd wonder about the RIGHT side float level and needles...but that would be black smoke? so I'd wonder about valve seals too.Or... Is the hose connected from valve cover to airbox? This is supposed to to reburn vapour from the valves .... . Is there oil sitting in the bottom of airbox? Is the right muffler sooty? Maybe Try a new spark plug

well, I'm pretty much repeating what JoeH said! but differntly.
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-07-2015, 01:22 PM.

Comment

smokingSuzuki.jpg...is what Suzuki Motorcycle Fault-Finding Troubleshooting says

Comment

Working...
            X