No announcement yet.

Need some help. GS450 Fuel Economy issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not particularly set on pods, however I have done a lot of electrical work and added banks of relays to control lights in different configuration that I'm guessing is now all in the way of where the air box should go. Thus, I think I'm stuck with pods. At the moment I'm just hoping that I get caught with some dumb luck and the jetting isn't stock and it works with the new filters. A guy can hope, right?

Thanks All,

Comment

You are not supposed to try to clean those no name pods. They are paper and not cleanable. They are throw aways.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        You are not supposed to try to clean those no name pods. They are paper and not cleanable. They are throw aways.
        Preferably before you ever run the engine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So the weather has been crappy so I've not been messing with the bike lately. I haven't found a jet kit for this bike at all. Does anyone know of a good jet kit for the mikuni 34 carbs? Maybe we should move this thread to the carb section now?

Thanks,

Comment

Better to just start a new one in that section with information pertinent to the carburetor issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce View Post
              I know the bike ran at least fairly well on them for many years, PO told me he consistently got over 50 mpgs.
              I'm sorry, but you are BELIEVING a previous owner's claims?

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                I'm sorry, but you are BELIEVING a previous owner's claims?
                I can believe the original purchaser of the brand-new bike got 50mpg.
                Hell, I can squeeze 60mpg (imp) out of a GS850 if I ride it like a granny.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Well, I used to consistently get over 50 mpg myself before it started dropping, so yeah, I believe it. Changed out the pods about a week and a half ago. New k&n pods. Feels so much better, but I still get around 35 mpgs. Is rejetting the only possible option at this point?

Comment

You put in better pods and the mileage instantly dropped from 60 or so to 35? Or did it just start doing it over time?
                    Nevermind, just read the thread again, pods give it poor mileage, better pods with more airflow make it worse, it's too lean. You need to jet it properly or find an airbox.
                    Last edited by tkent02; 03-14-2016, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      I can believe the original purchaser of the brand-new bike got 50mpg.
                      Hell, I can squeeze 60mpg (imp) out of a GS850 if I ride it like a granny.

Yeah if a 450 can't get 60mpg there's a problem.

Comment

Running lean causes an mpg drop? Also, I pulled the plugs today. I rode up my road doing about 80 in 6th. Roughly 7k revs. I didn't do a chop, but that should be sorta close, cause I just rode back the drive and killed it and they plugs were a greenish tint. I've forgotten what that means, I'm going to go check as well as see what I can learn about lean affecting mpgs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce View Post
                          Running lean causes an mpg drop?
                          Absolutely it will.

Comment

Working...
                          X