Engine wrangling bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine wrangling bar

Envisioning having to wrestle a motor out and another one in, I decided to see if I could come up with a better way of holding the block while hoisting it over the frame rails.

I haven't used this yet, but it certainly makes the block easier to hoist and puts the 'handles' at a better height for my old and experienced back. I used to just get two guys and 'heave at it', but it's now time for more cunning.

P1010534.jpg

The clamp is a standard 1/2" pipe hanger and the bar is 3/4" copper pipe which fits, surprisingly. The holes line up perfectly [made in China!] but needed to be enlarged to 1/4". The block with jugs and no starter weighs about 115 lbs and the head another 20 with the cams or 15 w/o. It seems to me that you may as well pull the head off before you take the motor out if you plan to take it off anyway, which is usually the case.

I used 1/2 pipe spacers to hold the jugs down, but most anything would do. The cross pipe is 30" long, which should be adequate; 3 feet might be better, but I wanted to get through my basement doorway. My plan is to place a jack under where the motor will sit and hoist the block over onto it. Still two guys needed but only an easy 60 lb lift.

The balance point [CG] is slightly forward of the CCT hole and would probably be even further forward on a Four, but with the head off it's close enough. Hangs just a bit up at the rear.
    '82 GS450T

Or you could use 3/8" bar through the mount holes.

[IMG][/IMG]
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
    X