Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with heat

Hi team,

i just did my first carb soak, bench synch, valve shim inspection - with new shims thanks Ray! -, new gaskets, oil separators, and bolts, on my GS425 and all is in spec. Fired her up and she sounded better than ever before.

But, there was a lot smoke coming from what looked like the cylinder head (behind the spark plugs), it slowly was rising up from beneath the fuel tank. When I first started her she revved around 4k and wouldn't settle down. I messed with idle throttle screw and got her humming at 1500, and the smoke settled down a bit but was still there a bit.

Also the left exhaust pipe was screaming hot and the right exhaust pipe was just kind of warm. All cylinders appear to be firing, but why is left exhaust running so hot? Not sure what to tackle next?

Thanks for all the help! Never has as much fun as I'm having with this bike.

Jamie

I have a friend who lives in Friday harbor and rides (has been since we were teenagers in the mid 1960's)...he gets his bikes worked on by someone on the island...I'll see if he'll drop me the guy's name if you want...I ride up there at least once a year...keep your eyes peeled for me...

Comment

"right exhaust pipe was just kind of warm"

kinda warm means it ain't right- if plugs are firing,then the right carb is not delivering enough mixture.

Did you diligently clean cam cover gasket surfaces? And tighten cover bolts to About 7 ft-lbs progressively?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        "kinda warm means it ain't right- if plugs are firing,then the right carb is not delivering enough mixture.

Did you diligently clean cam cover gasket surfaces? And tighten cover bolts to About 7 ft-lbs progressively?
        Plugs appear to be firing, and I cleaned cover gasket surfaces for days without scratching and a lot of elbow grease. I tightened bolts but just until well set- how can I measure 7 ft-lbs and what does progressively mean in this regard?

thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by chadams66 View Post
          I have a friend who lives in Friday harbor and rides (has been since we were teenagers in the mid 1960's)...he gets his bikes worked on by someone on the island...I'll see if he'll drop me the guy's name if you want...I ride up there at least once a year...keep your eyes peeled for me...

Awesome! I'd love a reference for a local bike mechanic that knows what he's doing. I'd love to keep learning how to work on my bike, but could use some help with a diagnosis. Any leads much appreciated and if I can sort this out I hope you'll let me know when you're on the island.

Thanks much,
          Jamie

Comment

"...tightened bolts but just until well set- how can I measure 7 ft-lbs and what does progressively mean in this regard?"

well you could spring for 1/4 inch drive torque wrench for $30?, or if you're cheap and undesirious of chinese tools, do what I did (see pic). By progressive, I mean start at center of cover along cam tunnel and work your way to outer corners- I do it in two goes .
            Attached Files
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              ... well you could spring for 1/4 inch drive torque wrench for $30?, or if you're cheap and undesirious of chinese tools, do what I did (see pic).
              The "Chinese tools" of which he speaks are found at Harbor Freight. Standard price is about $22, they occasionally go on sale for about half that.

Reasonable quality and accuracy for occasional use, not sure I would count on them for constant use in a shop environment.
              I ride many bikes.
              Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

Working...
              X