GS450 runs fine on stand, unresponsive under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 runs fine on stand, unresponsive under load

I've finally got my 450 to where I can ride it, and it's not acting quite right. With the bike on the center stand, I can shift through all the gears and the throttle response is okay. It's slow to rev back down sometimes, so I need to lube the cable and clean the slides. However, when the rear wheel is on the ground it doesn't feel right. I've got to rev to ~3k when taking off in 1st, and the throttle doesn't really do anything. I didn't drive it far enough to see if it was simply delayed, only up and down my driveway. I've got a Mac 2-1 exhaust, what look to be imitation EMGO pods, and a 137.5/40 jet setup. How should I proceed? TIA.

I should also note that I've done the coil relay mod, and have new plugs and boots. I have a strong spark, and the petcock was rebuilt as well. It's still occasionally backfiring, and smoke slowly comes from the carbs after I shut it off. This would normally lead me to believe that it's lean, but my jetting is on the large side, I can't imagine that that's the case.

Comment

here first, with pods

Comment

Are the valve clearances within spec? Compression? Have you checked for intake leaks?

Comment

Your issue sounds similar to my issue on a thread running near yours !
          Mine too only has an issue under load , not on the stand !

the guys have given various options that may help you too ?

Jules.
          UKJULES
          ---------------------------------
          Owner of following bikes:
          1980 Suzuki GS550ET
          1977 Yamaha RD 250D
          1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
          1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
            Are the valve clearances within spec? Compression? Have you checked for intake leaks?

Valve shims are all just replaced, new carb boots and boot o rings. Valves have been lapped and had seals replaced. I find it hard to believe that there could be an intake leak.

Comment

Not quite sure what happened, but it runs totally fine now. I took it on a two mile loop around my neighborhood and it was great. I'm amazed how easy it is to ride, I've never even been on a motorcycle before.

Comment

Please get yourself into a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider course ASAP
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Please get yourself into a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider course ASAP
                  Oh no worries, I already have a date set for the class. I just wanted to get a bit of experience before I went into the class so I had some idea of what I'm doing. My neighborhood is completely devoid of traffic as well.

Comment

Any guesses on what changed?
                    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                    1977 GS550
                    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

I'm not sure. Either it wasn't warmed up fully last time, or it's just bogged down on the low end. I'm also under the impression that i still need to adjust the clutch, because the revs rise quite a bit when I pull the clutch lever in.

Comment

I replaced the PO's Moxi filters with K&N's and felt an incredible difference. However, it still seems to surge a bit, and the engine still sounds a little off to me, I'll record a video later. I'm currently running 137.5/40 jets, should I step up to 145/45? I was recommended that on another thread. I have the Mac 2-1 exhaust and K&N pods.

Comment

Working...
                        X