Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 1000 tachometer gear delete

Hey guys
    my new speedometer, tachometer unit is completely electronic so the tach. gear will not be used.
    when I dismantled the engine I noticed lots of oil leaking from the tach. gear.
    what can i plug that hole with?
    79 gs 1000.

Thanks

There is a Genuine Suzuki plug for that hole - mentioned, I think by Brian (bwinger) in a recent post which now I cannot find!.....
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
      There is a Genuine Suzuki plug for that hole - mentioned, I think by Brian (bwinger) in a recent post which now I cannot find!.....
      I remember that post.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Grimly, mine hasn't leaked since I documented the repair 20-ish years ago... I did replace the geared shaft at that time, though, because the old one had a worn groove. WIth a tach cable in place, it's hard to see how any dirt could get in there.

One trick for dealing with grooves on sealing surfaces you can't replace is to not install the seal all the way, so that the seal rides on a fresh surface. This is often not easy to do, but perhaps something as a spacer in the bore, maybe an o-ring, would help keep the seal 1 or 2mm further out.

Another detail that may be useful for someone somewhere: if you go to an electronic tach or eliminate the tach, there's a plug from this hole that was used on several GS models with a factory electronic tach. It uses the same seal band as the tach drive fitting. A much neater solution than RTV...

The Suzuki part number for the plug is: 26442-45000

https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/oem...ch=26442-45000

It was used, among several others, on the 2005 GS500 and is in the cylinder head fiche.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks Roger! .
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

You bet

And another few characters....
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, with shipping it's like $40.

Comment

If you are handy with tools...

Remove the tach drive. Remove gear. Tap hole in housing where the gear went for a screw. Use sealer on screw and tighten securely. Place new O-ring around tach drive body and reinstall into the engine. Crack a beer and admire your work.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I pulled the seal out, threaded the housing and put a screw in it with a little teflon paste. Doesn't leak.
                Current:
                1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
                1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
                1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
                1998 Chevy C2500
                1999 Rav4

Comment

When I converted my 750E from mechanical to electronic tach, I filled in the tach gear jobbie with JB Weld.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

So what tachometer did you go with, those who've converted to electronic?
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

I _think_ mine came off a 1983 (or newer) GS750E. I could have swore I had a project thread about it but I can't find it now. Would have been around 9 years ago. Might be one of the threads that got eaten during a forum technical incident.

Basically I removed the mechanical bits from the dash of my '80 750E and installed the elelctronic bits from the newer bike. There was some fabrication involved to get it to fit, if I recall. And splicing a couple of wires.

In the end, it worked okay but not great. The needle was almost certainly off by some amount and I recall the needle sweep being sluggish. I don't know if I connected it wrong somehow or if the replacement tach just had aging components.

The longevity of these GS mechanical gauges has me a bit worried. They do go bad and no more are being made. More than once I have had to replace a bad speedo/tach and was left with no option but to pay-and-pray with a similar gauge off ebay, and then tear both apart just to swap over the mechanical bits. I think in my retirement years, one of my goals will be to design modern electronic replacements for components like these to keep these bikes on the road with their original looks intact.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

My tachometer is ok, the thing I'd like to be able to fix is the speedometer. It reads 8 mph higher than the bike is actually moving.

Sorry if this is considered threadjacking.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                          My tachometer is ok, the thing I'd like to be able to fix is the speedometer. It reads 8 mph higher than the bike is actually moving.

Sorry if this is considered threadjacking.
                          What did you use to verify this, Larry?
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Also what speed was it checked at, if 8 off at 40mph probably 16 off at 80mph... or not
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

What did you use to verify this, Larry?
                              GPS..and 15 other characters.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X