Plug oiling up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug oiling up

The spark plug on no1on my '81 gs 850 is oiling up, I suspect the guide stem seal, how do I test ?.

Exhaust would be the most likely?
    If you remove the header from #1, get the plugs out and turn the motor over from the ignition pick up side you should be able to get a view of the valve head and stem.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Leave the bike stood overnight then inspect the valves via the inlet and exhaust ports for evidence of oil and also view down the plug hole into the cylinder..
      The exhaust is usually easier to spot as the burnt oil build up shows as excess carbon and a wet guide .
      The inlet gets washed by the inlet charge.
      Also plug fouling on first start when stood overnight and puffs of smoke from the exhaust on start up and acceleration are a big indicator.
      You will need to replace them all .

Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
      VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

A lot of motorcycles do not run exhaust valve stem seals, as there is not suction there. Some do, but a lot don't. If your bike has them, replaced them when worm, if they don't, without a ring to hold them in, they won't stay in place. I guess if you were putting in new valve guides, it would be easy enough to make a grove and snap a Vitron seal, but some of these valves require the tiny bit of oil that gets down there for lubrication. On the intake side, the gasoline lubricates the valve stem.

Comment

If the bike puts out white smoke on heavy deceleration (engine braking) you probably need valve seals

Comment

There is a style of plug (wire thin) that resists fouling in oil. Rode my Z1 like that for quite some time.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
            X