Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I really not use this Tennessee gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah OEM is best for gaskets for sure… unfortunately most important in your model, when the tach drive is in the head you can get away with the aftermarket ones
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Another issue I've seen is when the teeth in the tach drive and the camshaft don't mesh properly when you put the valve cover on. 99% of the time, the teeth just sort of move out of the way, but there was a case where the tips of the teeth met, and the valve cover ended up cracked from the strain. Since you've been for a ride, this is not likely to be your issue.

There's nothing at all wrong with the concept of cut gaskets, but every one I've seen was way too thin. One guy showed up for a valve check with something the thickness of a grocery bag, and many others I've seen have been little more than card stock, or the thickness of cereal box cardboard.

I'll need to measure the real thickness when I get home. I think it's around 1.5mm, going from memory.

On a related note, these too-thin gaskets can also cause trouble with stator and clutch covers. If the clutch gasket is too thin, the shifter shaft can bind against the spacer peg inside the clutch cover. (Basically, the shifter shaft crosses the engine, and is kept in place by a peg inside the clutch cover, and is supposed to have a generous clearance.)
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
        Never heard of that company. They have such a few gaskets, I wonder how they stay in business?
        They mainly do Aircraft gaskets
        sigpic
        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
        1983 GS1100e
        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
        1980 GS1260
        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Another issue I've seen is when the teeth in the tach drive and the camshaft don't mesh properly when you put the valve cover on. 99% of the time, the teeth just sort of move out of the way, but there was a case where the tips of the teeth met, and the valve cover ended up cracked from the strain. Since you've been for a ride, this is not likely to be your issue
          Right. When I installed the cover, I carefully turned the tach drive just a hair until the cover settled into place. When I rode the bike the tach worked fine.

Well, the OEM gasket won’t be here until next Friday the 17th which is just fine since I’ll be away on vacation all next week. When I get back I’ll report thickness of the OEM and Cometic gaskets for comparison. I’ll also measure the one I installed but I don’t know if that’s a truly fair comparison since it’s already been compressed.

Comment

Ok I finally got the OEM gasket in the mail and installed it. I think it’s going to work out fine. I went for a short ride and no leaks so far. I took some videos to show the OEM vs. Cometic vs. thin paper gasket. The Cometic is actually a tad thicker than OEM but it’s clearly not the right gasket as you can see in the videos. It doesn’t have bolt holes in the corners. There are 3 short videos.

Comment

In other news, I am going to sell this bike. I’ll post about it in the “for sale” forum. Long story short, this bike is a good specimen but I have 6 other bikes and could use a break from wrenching! I’m gonna find me another GS that needs less work.

Comment

Working...
              X