Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS850G Gas in engine

Hello!

I bought this low mileage bike last year for a guy who had it sitting for 15 or so years. It looks to be in pretty good shape, all things considered. Or course, the tank is empty and a little rusty.

So after having carbs rebuilt, rebuilding the brakes, and getting tires on it, I get around to changing the fluids. The engine oil was a mixture of gas and oil, which kinda makes sense and I'm not too worried. But then I change the secondary gear oil and it also has gas in it. Now I'm a little worried. I imagine there is an oil seal somewhere that is leaking? Is it only gas that can make it past this seal, or is it going to be completely toast? What else could the gas have done?

Thanks,
    -Kevin

Hi ,most common cause of gas in engine oil is vacuum petcock failure. There must be zero flow of fuel when petcock is in the on position and engine not running. I use a pingle manual petcock. Hopefully the shaft drive owners can chime in about how your engine oil could mix with your gear oil, probably a seal.
    1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Thanks, that's what I figured, too. I got a new petcock instead of rebuilding the old one. Now if I could just remember how to route the vent hose...

Comment

Yup, it's the petcock. Very common.

When the engine is full of oil/gas, it is possible for the mix to push through the seal separating the engine and gear oil.

Personally, I would just run it and keep an eye on things. It'll probably be fine. Without that large volume of very thinned-out oil pushing, it shouldn't leak through.
        Last edited by bwringer; 06-12-2023, 02:59 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Grease your splines in the pumpkin, check the nut at the tranny universal.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
            Grease your splines in the pumpkin, check the nut at the tranny universal.

V
            That's like a line from a Lonely Planet Guide.
            ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Gas in the transmission looks like a seal has failed, Are you getting a rise in the oil level in the transmission?
              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

Working...
              X