Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93Bandit
    replied
    Excellent! You didn't waste any time getting this thing put back together. See, nothing too tough that you couldn't handle.

Leave a comment:

• Rich82GS750TZ
    replied
    I believe I do have an exhaust leak down low at the collector. Will investigate more. First I gotta put all the smoke back in the electrical system that got out last night. The only stuff I have is for positive earth bikes. Hope this works.

Leave a comment:

• Nessism
    replied
    Well done! Is there an exhaust leak? Hard to tell from the video sound, but it sort of sounds like that, plus there was some blue spoke out the front of the bike when you first started it.

Leave a comment:

• Rich82GS750TZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Block View Post
    Congrats, pinched wire somewhere likely. So now what to do with the rest of the winter?
    Got the kid some upgrades for his POS Chinese dual sport for Xmas. He and I will work on that a bit. I also think I’ll try and tackle valve clearance on the Tiger. Won’t be bad if it’s in spec, but if not, the shims are under the buckets, so it’s cams out. Fun stuff. Having watched the videos, that project could easily take me a couple of weekends.

Leave a comment:

• Big Block
    replied
    Congrats, pinched wire somewhere likely. So now what to do with the rest of the winter?

Leave a comment:

• KiwiAlfa156
    replied
    Well done. Enjoy that beer!

Leave a comment:

• Rich82GS750TZ
    replied
    Haha. I had one bay open, and the man door behind the camera. Wasn’t enough. Had to open the other bays.

I’ll be proud of me too, once I work out the electrical gremlins. Tomorrow is another day.

Leave a comment:

• rphillips
    replied
    Remember, open garage door before first start up...Congrats, Proud for ya

Leave a comment:

• Rich82GS750TZ
    replied

Worked all day, just wanted to hear it run. Lots of smoke but it cleared up eventually and I got a nice idle. Think I must have pinched a wire putting everything back together. Tail/ brake lights had been working prior to the video. Blew the 10A signals fuse 3 times. I’ll break out the wiring diagram and multimeter tomorrow. Did go for a short ride up and down my lane a few times. Amazing how small this bike feels after riding the Tiger the past few months. Time for beer.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 12-05-2023, 10:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 2BRacing
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

If you or bwringer knows exactly what that is I’ll buy one to fix this damaged pan, just to have as a spare. I had thought of doing some kind of repair in situ, but figured I’d have to take the pan off anyhow. Wouldn’t want thread cuttings left in there.
    It was a "+1 oversize" sump bolt in the standard 14 x 1.25 pitch. They are available in auto parts stores. Unfortunately I cannot locate my notes on that item now - apologies for not being able to provide you with better info.

I put grease on the bolt and turned it slowly in-and-out bit-by-bit until it was all the way in, and then removed it to clean the cuttings caught in the grease.​

Leave a comment:

• Eli69
    replied
    "It's always somethin !"

Leave a comment:

• Rich82GS750TZ
    replied
    Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
    The drain bolt threads on my 850 also stripped out.

Other members here reported using a special oversize bolt that cut it's own threads in the oil pan. Brian (bwringer) very kindly sourced one and posted it to me together with a few tubes of Honda moly paste for the drive splines.

That fix worked well and has been leak-free for some years.
    If you or bwringer knows exactly what that is I’ll buy one to fix this damaged pan, just to have as a spare. I had thought of doing some kind of repair in situ, but figured I’d have to take the pan off anyhow. Wouldn’t want thread cuttings left in there.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 12-02-2023, 12:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 2BRacing
    replied
    The drain bolt threads on my 850 also stripped out.

Other members here reported using a special oversize bolt that cut it's own threads in the oil pan. Brian (bwringer) very kindly sourced one and posted it to me together with a few tubes of Honda moly paste for the drive splines.

That fix worked well and has been leak-free for some years.

Leave a comment:

• Rich82GS750TZ
    replied
    Made good progress today. Was just about to pop in a new oil filter and fresh oil. When I was tightening the drain bolt, thought I felt the crush washer crush, then gave the wrench a little more. What I actually felt was the pan threads giving way. FML. Well, at least I have a spare oil pan that was already cleaned up and ready to go. Have a pan gasket on the shelf too. Spent the last hour or so scraping the old gasket. Decided to call it quits for the night and enjoy a beer. I could finish it up tomorrow, we’ll see how it goes.

I know there’s a new member here with the same bike who just did the same thing. Can’t seem to find a torque spec for the oil drain bolt in any of my references. Never had this happen before. Think I was getting tired and my built-in ugga-dugga meter was out of calibration.

Leave a comment:

• Rich82GS750TZ
    replied
    Have the day off and hoping to get the new rings on. Replacing rings just because I’m in there anyway, and 38,000 miles. But new rings orientation has me a bit confused and I want to make sure I get this right.

Manual has me looking for a noticeable taper on the second ring:

original rings, no appreciable taper that I can see:

New rings profiles look identical to me. Tops are marked. One is definitely silver/shiny, the other dulll/black. I’m about 73% certain the shiny one goes on top, from the note in the manual about the top ring being chrome plated.

no issues with the oil rings, those are straightforward.

edit to add- the video below set me straight. The silver in the top/compression ring. The black is the second/scraper ring.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 12-01-2023, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X