No announcement yet.

Valve Stem Seals, or maybe throw in the towel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't discount the coil. Mine measured perfect and when I ran it with one lead disconnected from the plug (the cylinder I was having issues with) I got this.

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 09-21-2023, 03:43 PM.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
    Dazza from Kiwiland
    GSX1100SXZ, GSX750SZ, GS650GZ All Katanas, all 1982

Comment

Rich, IIRC, the inner cylinder’s caps are different from the outer cylinder’s caps on the 16-valver.
      Can someone confirm?
      Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
      1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
      1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
        Don't discount the coil. Mine measured perfect and when I ran it with one lead disconnected from the plug (the cylinder I was having issues with) I got this.

don't really understand what you mean.
        But i can't quite make out what i am looking at, is the plug cap still on ?

Cool picture, that looks like a powerful coil/spark.

Made me think of the Suzuki service bulletin for GT750, how to do a rudimentary test of a coil without the Suzuki testing equipment.
        Clip off the whole arm of the spark plug and check out how it sparks.
        Spark should at least reach the side of the plug, preferrably a strong blue spark.
        Yellow spark is already considered weak and a weak yellow spark means bad coil.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Jim, that's what others have said. As you can see in pic where I have them all apart, all 4 caps on my bike are exactly the same, right or wrong. I have no fitment issues. And I have every reason to believe the the coils/wires/caps on the bike are original from 1982.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
            Rich, IIRC, the inner cylinder’s caps are different from the outer cylinder’s caps on the 16-valver.
            Can someone confirm?
            They all appear identical on my '82 1100 16 valve.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Suzuki parts diagram shows the 750TZ uses 4 cap, spark plug... part # 33510-45010... no other description. NGK says XD05F::X= 102 degree, D=fits 10 or 12 mm plug, 05= 5K resistance, F= pushes onto plug, no nut or stud. P=special water proof cover, it shows main body is 70mm long and neck is 24mm.... I'd say they will definitely fit, but "I won't guarantee it".... Decisions decisions.... I'm thinking the 8V Suzuki's had different caps, inner and outer.
              Last edited by rphillips; 09-21-2023, 04:43 PM.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

don't really understand what you mean.
                But i can't quite make out what i am looking at, is the plug cap still on ?

Cool picture, that looks like a powerful coil/spark.

Made me think of the Suzuki service bulletin for GT750, how to do a rudimentary test of a coil without the Suzuki testing equipment.
                Clip off the whole arm of the spark plug and check out how it sparks.
                Spark should at least reach the side of the plug, preferrably a strong blue spark.
                Yellow spark is already considered weak and a weak yellow spark means bad coil.
                This pic is of arching between the coil itself and the frame. The resistance across the coil terminals were all good when measured, and there is no external damage visible on the coil. The new NGK caps and copper leads measured 5Ω each. I've have the same issue and symptoms as the OP, I experienced a sudden drop in power when riding hard (doing jetting plug chops). And since then the bike idles a little rough and runs poorly in the mid-range and pulling the plugs shows just one cylinder (No. 1) being very (sooty) rich. Because I'm in the process of jetting the carbs, I assumed it was a carb issue, thinking that a bad coil would effect both the cylinders it served as its wasted spark. But nothing seemed to be making a difference, so to eliminate the coils I decided to swap the 1 and 4 leads. As a further test I pulled the lead that was feeding the problem cylinder off the plug and got this serous arching at the coil. I think pulling the plug lead increased the load on the coil and it discharged through the fault (path of least resistance). This is probably happening to a much lesser degree at idle and isn't bad enough to be noticeable at lower rpm where compression load is lower, but as the rpm and cylinder BMEP rise, so does the effective resistance across the plug gap and it arcs like this at the coil and the spark to cylinder 1 fails. The fuel in cylinder 1 is being sporadically ignited and the plug goes sooty. As I said, the fact that it was only effecting one cylinder put me down the wrong path.

Here's the video

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 09-21-2023, 05:41 PM.

Dazza from Kiwiland

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
                  This pic is of arching between the coil itself and the frame.
                  oh, wauw, never seen that before.
                  Thought at first i was looking at the bare spark plug lead without cap but after seeing the video it's very clear
                  what i was looking at. Funny how that works.
                  I've heard about leaking coils but never thought it could be anything like this.

Thanks for that, SO cool you got that on picture and video.
                  Very good to know, another piece of troubleshooting knowledge.
                  Learning something new here every day
                  Last edited by Rijko; 09-21-2023, 06:34 PM.
                  Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I've heard about leaking coils but never thought it could be anything like this.
                    The original coils on the zuks were notorious for arcing out in the rain*, which is why I got rid of them as soon as I could. Time hasn't done them any favours, either.

*Talking about riding 8 to 10 hours in the torrential rain, or the endless spray of a wet motorway - that will soon reveal weaknesses.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

oh, wauw, never seen that before.
                      Thought at first i was looking at the bare spark plug lead without cap but after seeing the video it's very clear
                      what i was looking at. Funny how that works.

Thanks for that, SO cool you got that on picture and video.
                      Very good to know, another piece of troubleshooting knowledge.
                      Learning something new here every day
                      We're all learning. Just thought this might help to OP. It really easy to go down a troubleshooting rabbit hole.

Dazza from Kiwiland

Comment

OK, just bought 4 of these. Hopefully thats the right thing and will take care of the caps and I can move on to something else.

Now, for all the morbidly curious, the compression gauge showed up today, so here’s the results:

cyl. 1- 165 psi
                        cyl. 2- 155 psi
                        cyl. 3. 160 psi

and what we all knew all along.

cyl. 4- A whopping 15 psi.

So, when the plug caps get here I’ll take care of that. I really hope I don’t have to bug you nice people anymore about something that should be so simple. I’m learning a lot. So thanks, everyone.

I’ll work on getting the head off this engine, and laying it out alongside the 2 ‘82 heads. Stripping everything down and making three heads into one. Ugg, this sounds tedious already. I expect not to have anything to report for a while. I may have some questions about valve spring compressor tools, but not just yet.
                        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-21-2023, 08:25 PM.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Burnt valve? Guess we'll find out.

Dazza from Kiwiland

Comment

A couple of squirts of oil in that cylinder will help decide if it is a piston ring seal or a valve issue...
                            Could it also be a head gasket issue?
                            Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                            1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                            1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Head gasket doesn’t leak. At least outside the engine. I suppose it could leak on the inside to the top of that piston?

OK, Jim. I’m game.
                              So, I squirt some oil on top of piston 4, re ran the compression test and I still get 15 psi. What does that tell me?
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

No4 compression 15, yikes, that is low, and shows that your thumb test was valid.

So, ah, lets not be too concerned with plug caps. Yes, you need some, but that is not the big problem.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                                So, I squirt some oil on top of piston 4, re ran the compression test and I still get 15 psi. What does that tell me?
                                likley the low compression not related to rings, as the oil would help seal up worn rings.
                                And your camera thingy doesnt show any hole or crack in piston.
                                So suspect problem is more related to valves.
                                Valve hanging up not closing, or valve (exhaust) with burnt edge so not sealing, or valve with edge chipped off (but dont see any dings in piston top).

Hey, i wonder if your camera probe thingy have ability to be turned and look back up at the valves.
                                Last edited by Redman; 09-21-2023, 09:32 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                                X