Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
    Rich, check the valve seat width.
    Too wide a seat width and those carbon deposits to get stuck into the seat and keep the valve from sealing properly.
    Too narrow a seat width will prevent valve head from transferring heat into the block.
    Seat width should be about 0.040”

And a worn valve seat leaves the valve margin too thin and invites high temps that can melt the valve edge, much like yours looks.
    Valve margin should be at least 0.02”.
    Say, how far did you leave those HDs behind?
    Engineers blue or even a marker pen works for checking both seal continuity and seat contact width.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
    Dazza from Kiwiland
    GSX1100SXZ, GSX750SZ, GS650GZ All Katanas, all 1982

Comment

I've read-up some on this. For right now, it's a bit TMI all at once, a bit overwhelming. I will be seeking guidance when I'm ready. Want to do it right this time. Never lapped valves before. But I'm up for it if necessary.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

In case anyone wanted a better look at the broken valve. Everything is now bagged, tagged, and waiting for the snow to fly.

Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Wow! Too me it looks like a chunk of valve broke off, rather than burning off.
          - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
          - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

I dun'no, It sure don't look like my burnt valves. I've got a CB1100F head out in the garage, with 2 burnt valves. It's still completely assembled and just looking you can't see anything wrong with it...
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Just Google 'burnt exhaust valve' and look at the images. Or look at this

A serverely burnt valve, is the point they lose bits, the combustion pressure blows the edge of the soft (but not liquid) metal instantaneously out the exhaust port. It is a very sudden failure. A metal fracture will have sharp edges revealing the crystalline structure, or show evidence of tearing, the damage on a burnt exhaust valve if you look closely is rounded.

Dazza from Kiwiland

Comment

And so it begins. Since it’s intact with all its parts, l decided to work on the spare 82 head. It appears to be in really good shape. I ran a bolt through all exhaust bolt holes. All good there. Spark plug holes all good too. Valves have only a bit of carbon on them. I started using the HF compressor tool I bought on the springs and that was getting me nowhere fast. So I tried a method I’d seen in a video putting a socket over the valve spring retainer cap and whacking it with a hammer. Worked like a charm. Managed to keep all 32 keepers, both eyeballs, and nine of my fingers aren’t bleeding. I do intend to spend a good bit of time cleaning the head, measuring everything and trying my hand at lapping the valves. Haven’t bought new seals yet. No hurry. Got a shiny new red thing to ride.

I have a question. The valve spring seats are still in place (second picture). They spin, but my weak magnet wouldn’t pick them out. And I didn’t want to try prying. I suppose if I’m careful not to lose them while cleaning, couldn’t they just stay there? Probably just answered my own question. As long as I’m careful.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 10-18-2023, 09:12 PM.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

This gasket seems like a good deal. I can't find any OEM ones for cheap...

SIZE: UP TO 71.00mm or 816cc. TO FIT: 1980 1981 1982 1983 GS750 4v PER CYLINDER ENGINES. It is ideal for head gasket use. CFM-20 allows heat to be drawn evenly across the gasket surface while still providing maximum sealing characteristics when exposed to coolants and / or oil.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed. That’s a much better deal at $52.15 than the OEM head gasket, which partshark has for $90.44 I’ll be shopping for valve stem seals, base, head, valve cover, stator cover, clutch cover, and oil pan gaskets for this whole engine soon enough. Guess I know what to ask for for Christmas. Hmm, rebuild bits for the GS, or a top box for the Tiger.
                    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 10-19-2023, 06:13 PM.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

You can lift the valve spring seats out without damage with a pair of pliers. There will be a film of oil underneath them that is sticking them in place. They aren't an interference fit.or anything like that.

Dazza from Kiwiland

Comment

Spring seats came out with out issue after some of the oil dried up a bit

Making slow progress over last few evenings. I lapped the valves. Got some Prussian blue dye and checked all. After a second go-round of lapping all valves and seats look more or less like the first pic below. First time doing this and learning. Pretty happy so far.

I have these seals in my eBay cart. Only ones I found that actually mention viton. I’ll get these unless someone has a better idea.
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/300785685234?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=-nkPeINbTN2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=EK7fcRW9Q5y&var=&wi dget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have a question about installing the seals. Various videos show 2 different ways. Clymer manual says to push or drive the seals into place then insert the valve stems up through from the bottom through seat and seal. I’ve seen videos where they inset the stem through the seat first then install the seal over the stem. Is one way better? Does it matter. Dumb question?

edit: this seems like a good idea:

Anyway, thanks for the help. We’ll get there.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 10-31-2023, 09:40 PM.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Conscious of the danger of damaging the seal lip, I inserted the valve into the head, covered the end of the stem with a bit of polythene that's long enough to cover the collet cut-out, then, with plenty of lube, slowly pushed the seal over the stem and down onto its seat. Not sure about your head, but mine has a seating recess at the base of the shoulder where the seal sits.
                          I used long cup-nosed pliers to seat the seals properly.
                          After that, easy enough to re-install the springs and collets.

<edit> pretty much like the video shows.
                          Frankly, anyone who advocates fitting the seal to the head, then just ramming the valve up through it, is an idiot whose advice on other stuff is probably just as flawed.
                          Last edited by Grimly; 11-01-2023, 03:38 PM.
                          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            Frankly, anyone who advocates fitting the seal to the head, then just ramming the valve up through it, is an idiot whose advice on other stuff is probably just as flawed.
                            why is that, Grimly ?

Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                            Bikecliff's website
                            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

why is that, Grimly ?
                              Lip damage, of course.
                              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I personally like to install the seals without the valves installed.

That way i have a better feel for the oiled up seal, i can feel the seal plop in the valve guide groove.
                                With better feel i mean compared to using pliers.

Remove the spring from the seal, oil the valve stem (GS valves do not have threads like in the movie shown earlier)
                                and push the valve through the seal.
                                No way that can cause damage to the lip.
                                Next, install the spring.

What's in this procedure that you find so risky ?
                                Last edited by Rijko; 11-01-2023, 05:48 PM.
                                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                                Bikecliff's website
                                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
                                X