stiff clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stiff clutch issue

Hey all, new to the group, havent done an intro bio entry yet as I couldnt upload photos from my iphone so currently setting up a flickr account.... but I digress. I picked up an 81 GS650GL in reasonable project shape, didnt start when I got it carbs were gummed bad, tank was rusty, charging system was hooped. With help from several of your links on here I was able to get her purring again and almost road worthy right on time for the PNW rain season to start.

Here is my issue, this damn clutch feels like its trying to pull a cinder block. The cable appears to be stretch pretty bad however I tossed the cable from my parts bike (currently completely in cardboard boxes) and no change. The cable also appears to be routed wrong passing on the outside of carb1 down to the clutch arm vice through the intake between carbs1 and 2. No matter what I do I can not get it to work smoother, I've adjusted the arm so it sits nearly parallel a little on towards the outside with the casing and tried every possible routing i could think of. I should mention also the bike has after market cafe racer style handle bars, but I'm not sure that would make a difference.

I've combed through a few links here and im still stuck, before I order a new cable, any ideas, pics to follow once flickr is up.
    My daily fun bike 03 Kawasaki ZR7S
    My project 81 GS650GL, maybe a racer, maybe a scrambler, who knows
    My future project 81 GS650G bike in a box

Cable routing, cable condition, or heavier springs... Probably not heavier springs on shaft dr. "L" model. Wondering if the other guy put on a shorter cable with the lower bars? that longer cable would have to have the extra cable looped around somewhere and that could possibly be it.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I was also considering any springs inside that cover that I may not be aware of, the manual does not go over it at much length. I tried routing the cable over the air box in front of the battery pack, seems to be lots of cable but no matter what there is either to much slack in the cable or is so tight the clutch spindle is turned all the way in.
      I know most of the adjustment should be on the handle bar but I have a spring between that barrel adjuster and the spindle, should that be fully compressed, when I took it apart it was maybe holding by two or three threads.

bare with me, new to Flickr

Last edited by LMARJ2434; 09-28-2023, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Not sure what you've got. All I remember have an adjuster at top, at bottom, And I've seen a few with an adjuster in the middle. Don't remember any springs on them. All I'm familiar with only the clutch springs. Many hot rodders installed heavier springs, lessens the chance of slipping but harder to pull lever.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by LMARJ2434 View Post
          bare with me, new to Flickr
          please, watch this video:

Using Flickr:

and soon you'll be posting pics that look like this:

IMG_0085 by Justin Perreault, on Flickr

Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

@Rich82GS750TZ​ awesome thanks for that. I had to convert all the HEIC photos to work on my laptop but seems like Flickr doesnt care. Your quick links by the way were an invaluable life saver over the last few days!

Comment

Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

@Rich82GS750TZ​ at risk of taking away from my current clutch issue, where do can I enter my bikes info like everyone else (IE your quick links) has so I dont have to constantly put it in every time I have an issue, I updated the biography part in settings but looks like its a signature block?

Comment

Easier to do on desktop than mobile. Pull down your username at the top right. Fo to user setting, then the account tab. About halfway down the page you’ll see edit post signature. Make sure the two check boxes above it are checked too. That should get you on your way.

And you also have to be looking at the forum as POSTS, and not LATEST ACTIVITY. Sigs don't show up when viewed in LATEST ACTIVITY.

To view POSTS on PC:

To view POSTS on Mobile:

Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by LMARJ2434 View Post
                    Hey all, new to the group, havent done an intro bio entry yet as I couldnt upload photos from my iphone so currently setting up a flickr account.... but I digress. I picked up an 81 GS650GL in reasonable project shape, didnt start when I got it carbs were gummed bad, tank was rusty, charging system was hooped. With help from several of your links on here I was able to get her purring again and almost road worthy right on time for the PNW rain season to start.

Here is my issue, this damn clutch feels like its trying to pull a cinder block. The cable appears to be stretch pretty bad however I tossed the cable from my parts bike (currently completely in cardboard boxes) and no change. The cable also appears to be routed wrong passing on the outside of carb1 down to the clutch arm vice through the intake between carbs1 and 2. No matter what I do I can not get it to work smoother, I've adjusted the arm so it sits nearly parallel a little on towards the outside with the casing and tried every possible routing i could think of. I should mention also the bike has after market cafe racer style handle bars, but I'm not sure that would make a difference.

I've combed through a few links here and im still stuck, before I order a new cable, any ideas, pics to follow once flickr is up.

pg 230
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

@Cipher​ thanks, that is how i noted it was routed wrong the first time, however this link with the bookmark tabs is way better than my PDF. I think where i have an aftermarket handle bar the routing might need to be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        Easier to do on desktop than mobile. Pull down your username at the top right. Fo to user setting, then the account tab. About halfway down the page you’ll see edit post signature....;
                        awesome, thanks again

Comment

new clutch cable came in, I installed it using a slightly different route to minimize arc and compensate for handlebars. Result is much better, smoother right out the gate but still a little tight compared to my Kawasaki (maybe i should change that one also but that is for another day/forum...). My question now is the 81GS650GL uses that lower barrel/spring tensioner vice the tensioner that is down behind the clutch plate that i am seeing on the 750s, am I supposed to completely tighten that puppy up or just a few threads, I currently have it half way. I left the arm out as seen above, if i tighten up much more it will bring it in a good bit.

Comment

Working...
                          X